Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Squeaking noise from passenger-rear corner...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Squeaking noise from passenger-rear corner...

So I have what I THINK is a suspension noise that I'm having trouble tracking down, was hoping maybe my circumstance would be a common problem I had overlooked in the past.

My car has stock suspension except for Bilstein HD shocks and UMI solid 35F 22R sway bars with poly bushings. All rubber bushings on factory suspension pieces are original, as far as I know.

I'm experiencing a sort of high-pitched squeaking noise on the car while in motion especially, but it can also easily be duplicated whenever weight transfer is applied to the car, such as rocking it (pushing up and down on the driver-front side where the hood and corner panel meet) or even getting in or out of it. When just rocking it, it sounds kind of like metal on metal rubbing, a lower pitch than while I'm riding in the car. The bushings have been greased for the sway bars, but there's be no difference in sound. Also, it usually takes a minute or two of driving or rocking the car before it starts really squeaking, especially in the mornings.

I'm about 99% positive it's coming from the right-rear of the car, it seems like it's almost behind the wheel on that corner.

Is there something else I need to be greasing? Are other suspension parts known to make these kinds of noises, even when they are factory? Could it possibly be an exhaust hanger or some part of the exhaust system?

I'm gonna continue poking around under there today, see if I can shake some pieces and recreate the noise, but it would be super helpful if there's a common problem I'm just not aware of that someone could enlighten me on. If nothing else, in a day or two I may try to get video of the issue and upload it, it'll be better than nothing at least.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like I earned the dunce hat today gentlemen, not just for what the problem actually was, but because I've dealt with it before and had forgotten:

The metal cap and giant wing nut that holds the spare tire in the fender well was loose enough to allow the tire to move back and forth and rub every bit of metal that's back there together, which creates a high-pitched squeaking noise. I tightened it down a bit and the noise seems to have subsided.

Sorry for the distraction, carry on....

Quick Reply: Squeaking noise from passenger-rear corner...