Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

General Suspension Questions

Old 08-28-2013, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Suspension Questions

I have some general suspension questions about my 2000 T/A. Here's a little back story... I bought a set of OEM C6 Z06 wheels and in my search to see if they will fit or not, many people who have fit them with little to no issues with them rubbing have had adjustable lower control arms. I also read somewhere that when adjustable lower control arms are installed, most people put a panhard bar in there as well.

This is what leads to my question, What exactly does all that do? And how does that correlate into my wide *** wheels?

Any and all help will be awesome! I'm still searching on this topic so if this was a stupid questions then I'll file it under the "I'm a newb" category"....

Thanks!

-Michael
Old 08-28-2013, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Stock control arms are stamped steel, tubular are narrowerr so you gain clearance. The panhard bar centers the rear so they will be less likely to rub inside.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
Stock control arms are stamped steel, tubular are narrowerr so you gain clearance. The panhard bar centers the rear so they will be less likely to rub inside.
Righteous!!

I've read that these two things will help wheel hop which is awesome, so I'm kind of killing two birds with one stone.

Does anyone have measurements or a ball park figure of how much wheel/tire clearance you gain from switching out control arms?
Old 08-28-2013, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

Its always better to get the rear lower control arm and panhard bar both would be easier if adjustable for traction, less likely tires will rub inside
Old 08-29-2013, 10:12 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Adjustable rear LCAs and an adjustable panhard rod definitely would be a good idea with those taller/wider C6 Z06 wheels. The adjustable rear LCAs will allow you to adjust the front to back clearance in the wheel well and the adjustable panhard rod will allow you to adjust the inside and outside clearance in the wheel well. Here is what I would recommend:

BMR adjustable LCAs w/poly-urethane bushings (MTCA002)

BMR adjustable panhard rod (PHR002)

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 08-29-2013, 10:19 AM
Teching In

If you still need additional clearance, you can then go to a rod end setup with off set spacers to gain you about an additional 1/4"-3/8".
Old 08-29-2013, 06:19 PM
Teching In

I have 275r40 17 on my ss. I can not go any wider, it will hit my bump stop. I have about 1"if that.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With all the negative reasons against poly LCAs discussed here over the years, why would anyone recommend them?

Sales people just want to sell?

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Adjustable rear LCAs and an adjustable panhard rod definitely would be a good idea with those taller/wider C6 Z06 wheels. The adjustable rear LCAs will allow you to adjust the front to back clearance in the wheel well and the adjustable panhard rod will allow you to adjust the inside and outside clearance in the wheel well. Here is what I would recommend:

BMR adjustable LCAs w/poly-urethane bushings (MTCA002)

BMR adjustable panhard rod (PHR002)
Old 08-30-2013, 06:45 AM
Staging Lane

I purchased the founders performance LCA's and panhard bar. I'm jut waiting for them to get here.

Any good write-ups on install? I know it's pretty self explanatory but you never know..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: General Suspension Questions