Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

4th Gen. fix for ABS Inop, Low Trac, and Brake Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th Gen. fix for ABS Inop, Low Trac, and Brake Lights

Edited: Keep reading for how to fix this issue

Does anyone have any EBCM's? Looking for an EBCM for a 2001 LS1 Z28 Camaro. Suspected bad when troubleshooting intermittent ABS inop, low trac, and brake warning lights. Removed electronic brake control module (EBCM) to follow instructions on how to check for cold solder joint inside and broke the module (long story). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ap0001; 09-13-2013 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Title change
Old 09-08-2013, 10:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Have you eliminated all the other options. Bad wiring,hub, water in the connection. My car recently threw a C0041 turned out a hub I replaced 3 weeks ago was defective.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...rak-light.html
Old 09-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Extensive research has driven me to believe that the module has gone bad due to the intermittent nature of my issue. ABS Inop, Low Trac, and Brake lights would come on after the engine warmed up for a few minutes. The lights also took longer to come on when the weather was colder outside; leading me to believe that the root cause was the expansion and contraction of a solder joint causing a loss of signal.

I've already fixed an issue similar with my body control module (BCM). My BCM would'nt allow my radio, windows, and covertible canopy motor to work when the solder joints expanded (cold solder joint)...... Theres a step by step video on youtube for the fix on the BCM for the 4th gen camaro.

- GREAT VIDEO.

I broke my electronic brake control module (EBCM) when trying to pry the lid off to access the circuit card to check for cold solder joints on the 3 solder runs connecting the circuit card to the pin assembly. Those are the likely culprits. I bought an EBCM from another LS1 Tech member for $63.00 shipped..... hell of a deal. I'll keep you posted of the outcome when the part comes in. I'm also gonna continue to mutilate my old EBCM to verify if a cold solder joint is the culprit. I'll keep you posted...... There are so many people with similar issues, but NO ONE ever returns the favor for sound advice by posting the fix. Drives me crazy. I'm gonna start a new trend here and hopefully everyone else follows suit. Until next time friends.....

Last edited by ap0001; 09-13-2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: to eliminate confusion with the acronyms
Old 09-12-2013, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Default EBCM Update

Not camaro specific, but good info for what to look for within any EBCM. Very informative.

Today I installed my EBCM (used) that i bought off of an LS1 techie. All intermittent lights have not come on all day. I think it's safe to say my problem is solved. I'll send another update on my old EBCM when I find the time to get the lid off. I'll post pics of my problem joints to give an idea of what to look for with LS1 Camaro specific EBCM's.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:28 PM
Teching In

Day 2, still no warning lights.... Yeah Boy!
Old 09-19-2013, 02:55 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I've posted this before, but those three lights are the exact reason I can't wait to ditch the ABS and TCS in my Camaro.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

im having this exact issue. comes on instantly though. happened after I got jumped. the guy who jumped it put the cables on wrong and almost fried everything. so i suspect that he fried the ebcm. was thinking it could be a fuse.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:01 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Think I just figured out my issues...
Attached Thumbnails 4th Gen. fix for ABS Inop, Low Trac, and Brake Lights-image-2232540762.jpg   4th Gen. fix for ABS Inop, Low Trac, and Brake Lights-image-193765341.jpg  
Old 09-19-2013, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

^^ i'll check that tomorrow. doubt that is my issue.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:43 AM
Teching In

Intermittent dash lights (Brake, TCS, ABS inop, ASR) all wound up being a problem with the EBCM (electronic brake control module). Can't tell you exactly how it was malfunctioning, but the problem was intermittent and very hard to isolate. I saved a ton of money by purchasing an EBCM from the classifieds on a forum website (normal price, $350. Bought from someone on a forum for $65). I hope this is helpful to someone and encourage everyone to go back and post the solution to their issues when using this website. There are a lot of open ended problems on this forum and it would be very helpful to everyone seeking help to see the solutions.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ap0001
Intermittent dash lights (Brake, TCS, ABS inop, ASR) all wound up being a problem with the EBCM (electronic brake control module). Can't tell you exactly how it was malfunctioning, but the problem was intermittent and very hard to isolate. I saved a ton of money by purchasing an EBCM from the classifieds on a forum website (normal price, $350. Bought from someone on a forum for $65). I hope this is helpful to someone and encourage everyone to go back and post the solution to their issues when using this website. There are a lot of open ended problems on this forum and it would be very helpful to everyone seeking help to see the solutions.
damn brought this back from the dead lol good to know though, wish this was my problem.

my abs/tcs lights have been on every since i swapped from a 4 channel to a 3 channel rear and are probably never going away.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 210guy
damn brought this back from the dead lol good to know though, wish this was my problem.

my abs/tcs lights have been on every since i swapped from a 4 channel to a 3 channel rear and are probably never going away.

its not going to go away and I replace mines the same way and turned around and wanted the light to go away and put the 4 channel in and still can’t get the lights of. And not it won’t connect to a scan tool.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen. fix for ABS Inop, Low Trac, and Brake Lights