Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

lowering and caster

Old 09-15-2013, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering and caster

Hi guys. Quick question about lowering. Done alot of reading but I am trying to figure out just what affect lowering my car had on caster angle. I lowered the car and had it aligned, but I am pretty sure the technician completely ignored caster. So before I do anything else I want to have a better understanding. I went from stock to Strano springs and 1" lowering BMR A-arms up front. I then shimmed out the lower shock mount about 1/2" because the A-arms slammed it. So, does lowering the car make caster more + or - ? The steering wheel returns to center after a turn, but stays more situated to the direction I made the turn after I am going straight again. The car does not pull left or right. Braking to a stop will straigten the wheel out. Weird.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Didn't the alignment shop give you a print-out of the before and after settings?
Old 09-21-2013, 08:59 AM
Launching!

No. No alignment shop I've ever been to has, either. I have to press them on it and the do. It's been difficult to get alignments done the way I want them done. It has been hard to figure out, but I think I have a whole lot of positive caster. I'm going to try to measure it myself.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZForce1
No. No alignment shop I've ever been to has, either. I have to press them on it and the do. It's been difficult to get alignments done the way I want them done. It has been hard to figure out, but I think I have a whole lot of positive caster. I'm going to try to measure it myself.
Positive caster is a good thing, as it gives you straight line stability. If you have 5*, or even a tad more, that's good.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ZForce1
Hi guys. Quick question about lowering. Done alot of reading but I am trying to figure out just what affect lowering my car had on caster angle. I lowered the car and had it aligned, but I am pretty sure the technician completely ignored caster. So before I do anything else I want to have a better understanding. I went from stock to Strano springs and 1" lowering BMR A-arms up front. I then shimmed out the lower shock mount about 1/2" because the A-arms slammed it. So, does lowering the car make caster more + or - ? The steering wheel returns to center after a turn, but stays more situated to the direction I made the turn after I am going straight again. The car does not pull left or right. Braking to a stop will straigten the wheel out. Weird.
got any pics of the stance

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lowering and caster