Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What is this and what does it do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 08:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default What is this and what does it do?

See attached. Picture is from when I discovered the leak, before I drove a screw through it. I realize this is a major newb question, but I'm new to doing work on my own car.

When I was reinstalling my intake, I couldn't get the intake to fit in, so I removed the nut closest to the front of the car on this box (whatever it is) and put it back in, ended up making no difference, so I put it back in.

Brakes got all spongy, looked and noticed it started leaking out of that nut. I tried tightening the nut more, ended up snapping it off. I drove a screw through it to stop it from leaking. So now it doesn't leak.

1. What does this entire box do?

2. How do I cure the spongy brake pedal now that the fluid leak has stopped?

3. Should I do a more proper fix on what I broke?
Attached Thumbnails What is this and what does it do?-20130929_112607.jpg  
Old 09-30-2013, 08:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The box is your ABS control module.

I can't see what nut you're talking about, or where you put the screw/etc.

Is the leak coolant or brake fluid? If it's brake fluid and you have a spongy pedal then your car isn't safe to drive, even with a screw in it.

Need more information about where it's leaking from, what nut you messed with, where you put the screw, etc.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Highlighted in red in attached picture. Picture was taken before I put a screw through it.

I do believe the leak was brake fluid.
Attached Thumbnails What is this and what does it do?-20130929_112607-1-.jpg  
Old 09-30-2013, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Sounds to me like you might have destroyed your abs control module.
Why would you "drive a screw through" because it started leaking???

Originally Posted by Epro
but I'm new to doing work on my own car.
Lesson learned hopefully

Post a picture of what it looks like now and maybe we can let you know what all is destroyed... Or just have it towed to a good shop.

And please for the sake of the rest of the world, don't drive the car until the brakes are functioning properly.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:23 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a bleeder... Its just there to remove air from the braking hydraulic circuit.

Those are replaceable if you can get the remains of the old bleeder out of the bore. As for the screw, Assuming that there was part of the bleeder left in the bore, I doubt that it has "destroyed" the ABS module. (Though more than likely the threads have been nuked)

The spongey pedal that you have is probably being caused by air in the braking hydraulic circuit.

Go to a shop and get it vacuum bled, and the problem should be solved. If you have a friend who can help, they can work the brakes while you bleed them manually.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Epro
so I removed the nut closest to the front of the car on this box (whatever it is) and put it back in, ended up making no difference, so I put it back in.

Brakes got all spongy, looked and noticed it started leaking out of that nut. I tried tightening the nut more, ended up snapping it off. I drove a screw through it to stop it from leaking. So now it doesn't leak.

I was under the impression that he drove the screw into the abs module housing. At least that's what it sounds like to me.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:21 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slow01z

I was under the impression that he drove the screw into the abs module housing. At least that's what it sounds like to me.
Aside from a "bleeder", where else is there to put a screw into an ABS unit? Besides, he highlighted the bleeder in red in his pic.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Is there a unique P/N for the bleeder or are they pretty much generic?
Old 10-01-2013, 06:57 AM
11 Second Club

take your vin # to a dealer or a salvage yard explain you need the bleeder, install, bleed system, go have fun

Johnny

Quick Reply: What is this and what does it do?