Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Very Odd Skewed/Mis-aligned Rearend

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Very Odd Skewed/Mis-aligned Rearend

Well, my rear end on the driver side is centered in the wheel well by eye, but the passenger side is off a good 2 inches forward (toward the front of the car) in comparison. I noticed something off when I hit the brakes and the car jerks to the passenger side out of the blue, then I started looking around and found this. This is definitely something funky going on to me. Is this normal after having a S60 rear end swap, BMR lower springs w/ heater hose mod, stock rear decarbons, Adj. Panhard bar, NON-Adj. LCA, LCA relo. bracket, and Adj. tunnel mount torque arm???? Obviously I could just get adjustable LCA, but I'm wondering if something else could be actually wrong and needs to be fixed causing this problem that has seemed to have randomly occurred. ALSO, when jacking up the car on the center of the rear end, the passenger side sags about a inch or so more than the driver side.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

you should of bought adj lower control, and with the adj pan hard you could be able to adj all i have a dana s 60 and its centered fine
Old 09-30-2013, 10:59 PM
11 Second Club

I bought these LCA 4 years ago when I first started modding the car with no expectations of going this far (bolt on only mentality at the time lol...) and have had the rear end in for just alittle overa year now and didn't have problems then. Some how way or another it got out of wack these last few months. It seems as so, at least.. BUT yeah, I'll just end up investing into the ADJ. ones ASAP anyway..
Old 10-01-2013, 02:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you check the LCA bolts/nuts to make sure they're tight? How about the lower shock mount bolts and the LCA relocation bracket bolts are they tight?
Old 10-01-2013, 05:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should also check your brakes, a caliber that isn't working properly will do this also.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:44 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not sure I'd simply just throw on adjustables and call it a day considering you're saying this just seemed to happen after having the rear fine for a year. Definitely check all your mounting points to ensure bolts are tight and nothing is bent (did you hit something recently?).
Old 10-01-2013, 09:36 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by demonspeed
I'm not sure I'd simply just throw on adjustables and call it a day considering you're saying this just seemed to happen after having the rear fine for a year. Definitely check all your mounting points to ensure bolts are tight and nothing is bent (did you hit something recently?).
That what I was thinking as well. I didn't hit anything or have any event to have occurred for this to happen. I will check everything though and see what I can find.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Sounds to me like the LCA brackets are not welded on the axle square.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-01-2013, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Sounds to me like the LCA brackets are not welded on the axle square.
This is what I thought but the op said it was fine for a year. I'm assuming the op looked over everything carefully after install and didn't just now notice the problem.

Sent from my HTC One VX using IB AutoGroup
Old 10-01-2013, 12:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

oh, I missed that. Read like the S60 was new. Something has to be bent.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-04-2013, 10:41 PM
11 Second Club

Alright thanks for the help guys! I haven't been able to work in the car till tonight, schools took my time lol. But I did find out my ADJ panhard lock nuts were not locked on and the rear end was off that way. I haven't been able to look at the original problem yet. I'll do it when I get day light tomorrow
Old 10-06-2013, 11:26 AM
11 Second Club

Well I found the problem was my UMI lower control arm bracket is broken... I'm gonna get it welded back for now until I get ready to race again and buy another.
Attached Thumbnails Very Odd Skewed/Mis-aligned Rearend-image-1275865758.jpg  
Old 10-06-2013, 12:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had same problem and more with my burkhart 9 I got all adjustable and realized that could not even fix it.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mesterious
Well I found the problem was my UMI lower control arm bracket is broken... I'm gonna get it welded back for now until I get ready to race again and buy another.
That would definitely explain it .
IMO, I'd remove both for now and contact UMI and maybe they'll send you a new set in exchange for the old set. I'm sure they would like to examine your current set for the cause of failure.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
That would definitely explain it .
IMO, I'd remove both for now and contact UMI and maybe they'll send you a new set in exchange for the old set. I'm sure they would like to examine your current set for the cause of failure.
Yeah I will contact them and see what they say. I had to get it going dependably for the next couple days so I had no option but to weld it and get back on the road. I'll still see what they so though for sure!
Old 10-06-2013, 10:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mesterious
Yeah I will contact them and see what they say. I had to get it going dependably for the next couple days so I had no option but to weld it and get back on the road. I'll still see what they so though for sure!
Could have just removed it and put the LCA in the stock mount point

Interesting breakage, wonder what caused that.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Could have just removed it and put the LCA in the stock mount point

Interesting breakage, wonder what caused that.
Yeah, I guess you're right. lol. Oh well, too late now haha! You aren't the only one. When I figured there was something wrong, I hadn't even been racing for a while. Maybe it was from the couple years of hell I gave it before that??

Quick Reply: Very Odd Skewed/Mis-aligned Rearend