Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Camber question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camber question

So my tires has been wearing the inner side of my fronts 245/35ZR18’s. Had the alignment checked today and it is dead on. Last alignment was 2 months ago. Nothing has shifted since then. Tech said I needed to get a camber kit in order to solve the problem in the future. I told him (owner of a turbo civic) I dont run Vtec, our cars dont have camber kits. Just concerned what step I should take next.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stock suspension?
Old 10-01-2013, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

Lol at "I don't run vtec". I'd have it looked at by someone who is a domestic car guy and knows more about these cars.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:29 AM
Launching!

Agreed with above. Although having multiple alignments done can be expensive. Which is why I've started getting the stuff to do it at home. Not too difficult. The last alignment shop I went to didn't know how to adjust camber, I had to correct him. It's like everyone is forgetting how to align front engine rear drive cars, or at least F-bodies.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this may have less to do with camber and more to do with toe...toe out will kill the inner portion of your tires in very short order...even as much as a 1/16th toe out.

i had the same issue...didn't want to keep paying for alignments so i bought a camber/caster gauge, tiles and some toe plates...and do it myself.

google and youtube are your friend.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Euphoria
So my tires has been wearing the inner side of my fronts 245/35ZR18’s. Had the alignment checked today and it is dead on.
If you're wearing the inner edges of the tires, you alignment can't be "dead on".....

If you can, post your alignment settings.....and without seeing them, I'd be inclined to agree with "brigade24". You toe settings are off.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:21 PM
gnx
On The Tree

agreed if your wearing your tires it can not be dead on it could be the specs for your car in the machine may not work with your car if its dropped modded in anyway you need a kit to bring it back up to spec.try doing it with the weight of a driver in the front seat, just a thought .
Old 10-02-2013, 04:30 PM
gnx
On The Tree

it is not a toe setting it is a camber issue caster will not wear tires just cause a pull ,toe will cause wear but it will cause wear across the whole tire and the tread will look messed up and can also looked chopped across it toe will wear tires the most but not just on the outer edge its a camber issue period..you can either get a plate for the top of the strut or aftermarket control arms ..just a thought the tire size in the front can cause it if you haven't set up and made a correction in ride height, i aligned cars on and off for 20 yrs while doing other things....
Old 10-02-2013, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 post alignment results.

There is no kit to change camber (the camber adjustment is the position of the horizontal bolt thru the lower control arm bushing wrt to the k-member).
Old 10-02-2013, 07:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

+2... what is "dead on"? It could also read ok statically, but if you have trashed lower control arm bushings (particularly the rear) or tie-rods, etc. what is happening dynamically could be very different.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-02-2013, 08:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dead on to factory numbers doesn't mean right for how
you're modded and how you drive.

I get about -1 degree of camber and it gives me nice
even wear in "enthusiastic" street driving.

Never needed a camber kit. But I do have an aftermarket
K-member - whether or not that matters, I couldn't say
because I did the lowering at the same time and had not
gotten a performance alignment prior.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

+3 on numbers. There not much anyone here can help you with unless you have the alignment specs.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
+2... what is "dead on"? It could also read ok statically, but if you have trashed lower control arm bushings (particularly the rear) or tie-rods, etc. what is happening dynamically could be very different.
Ok no problem, ill print one out thursday. IIRC I cant recall the degree, but both bar graphs were dead in the middle. No degree in difference as far as the toe, the same applies for what the camber was reading. Im running after market 18 inch wheels. And notices when I turn the steering wheel the angle of the wheel changes. That could explain one reason why the inner is wearing out. To answer the question in post #2 If I remember the original owner told me all springs were cut an inch off. So no not stock suspension. Other than that stock shocks, springs, struts, ect.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:24 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Ahh, the lean you see as you turn is normal, it's camber gain from caster. Lowering the car will gain you negative camber vs. a stock height car.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-16-2013, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

My tires lean in. (camber)
When I bought the car it was lowered on decarbons and heated eBay springs. I literally dragged the air dam before I changed the setup. V6 springs and decarbons til tomorrow. Anyways. They lean in noticeably. Passenger is worse than driver. Might be a bent spindle. It's getting replaced along with adjustable uppers to help with camber. Now that y'all know my story..

Why is the outside of my tires bald but the inside looks great? I'd figure with stupid camber the insides would wear not the outsides.

Not thread jacking just asking since my problem is similar but opposite side of the tire wears.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 14k
When I bought the car it was lowered on decarbons and heated eBay springs. I literally dragged the air dam before I changed the setup. V6 springs and decarbons til tomorrow. Anyways. They lean in noticeably. Passenger is worse than driver. Might be a bent spindle. It's getting replaced along with adjustable uppers to help with camber. Now that y'all know my story..

Why is the outside of my tires bald but the inside looks great? I'd figure with stupid camber the insides would wear not the outsides.

Not thread jacking just asking since my problem is similar but opposite side of the tire wears.
IF you can see camber problem I am sure you have camber problem if you go back to stock springs you should not need adj uppers. I doubt you have bent spindle.

however as to your outside wear I think you have a bad TOE IN setting.
yes stupid - camber will give you some inside wear, but TOE is your big wear factor.
my .02 Johnny
Old 10-16-2013, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the passenger is a bent spindle. As it's way worse than the drivers side. Previous owner drove the car out to rigs and down oil field roads. Dumbass

But I don't like the stock height and will be installing bilstein/strano setup tomorrow along with a new passenger spindle and adjustable uppers. I figured since there will be some slight camber on a lowered car the adjustables would help correct it. Or am I wrong?
Old 10-17-2013, 09:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You don't need adjustable arms to align a car with Strano springs. If you were dropping like 2+ inches then yeah you might, or if you were going for some wild alignment for specific road coursing yeah you might, but a street car no.

Also, I would expect the alignment to just be knocked way out vs a bent spindle. The alignment points will shift easier than bending that big hunk of metal, plus it usually takes a direct hit to the spindle to bend it.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:43 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
You don't need adjustable arms to align a car with Strano springs. If you were dropping like 2+ inches then yeah you might, or if you were going for some wild alignment for specific road coursing yeah you might, but a street car no.

Also, I would expect the alignment to just be knocked way out vs a bent spindle. The alignment points will shift easier than bending that big hunk of metal, plus it usually takes a direct hit to the spindle to bend it.
hear yee, hear yee
Johnny
Old 10-17-2013, 11:12 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 14k

Because your toe is likely all screwed up. That's the thing, how much camber you want is related to how hard you corner the car. The harder you do the more negative camber you want. If you don't drive that hard in corners, and the outsides are trashed I'm sure the toe is all jacked up.

Quick Reply: Camber question