Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

front suspension noise ... car is all over the place

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 09:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default front suspension noise ... car is all over the place

OK I'll make it as short as I can. 1999 ta. Adjustable Upper and lower control arms aftermarket sway bar bilstein shocks social springs. New rack.. all parts are years old but not a lot of miles on themCar is making a sort of a creaking clunking click noise while at creaping speeds. I'm pretty sure its on the right side Under 5 MPH ..... and I know its suspension related because with the car off if I open the passenger door and bounce up and down to rock the car I will get the noise.....but notttt always... its sparatic while performing that testAnther symptom I have with the car since. Got it. Is the steering is unperdicatable. any imperfection on the road will make the car want to go any which way ... while coming out of a turn and going straight sometimes you need to keep the wheel turned to keep it straight. Then its fine for a little while....... at highway speeds there is a slight slight vibration but not much to write home about..... the cracking poping noise is only veryyy pronounced while making a slow k turn of backing into a drive way ...... almost sounds like a bad axle on a fwd drive car but doesn't increase the faster you go (ie around a turn)dumAlso this may not be related. The car takes speed bums and lot holes very harshly which makes me thing strut mount or blown shock?Can anyone attempt to help me.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a ripped out strut mount. Been there done that.

When you put the Bilsteins on did you make sure to put the wedge shaped isolator in the top before putting the upper nut on?
Old 10-17-2013, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

Previous owner
Old 10-17-2013, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gotgrowth
Previous owner
Previous owner did the struts shocks ..... not sure
Old 10-17-2013, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ah ok. Well it sure sounds like the piece was left out (a lot of people do that). Probably will have to take some stuff apart and see.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Have you jacked the car up and checked for loose tie rod ends, steering shaft joint, etc?
Old 10-17-2013, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

No I have no checked thoughroughly any tips on hoe to do it ?
Old 10-17-2013, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gotgrowth
No I have no checked thoughroughly any tips on hoe to do it ?
Honestly I would take it somewhere and have it looked at. If you don't know how to check it you probably aren't going to know how to fix it. You are taking a big risk driving around the way it its. I'm not saying this to be a jerk so please don't take it this way. I just don't want to see you to get in an accident and get hurt or hurt someone else.

If you want to do it this is how.

Jack the front of the car up and place the jack stands under the lower control arms. Grab the tire at the 3 and 9 o' clock position and push/pull, this will check the inner and outer tie rod ends.

Then grab at the 12 and 6 o' clock position and push/pull. This will check the wheel bearing.

Take a long pry bar and put under the tire(pointed end towards the jackstand)and pry upwards, its best to have a helper to do this part, and watch the lower ball joint as you pry. If the ball joint is loose you will see it move away from the control arm.

Check the rag joint, u joint, make sure the bolt is tight on the steering shaft.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:50 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks bud will run the tests asap if k still ger nothing ill take it in
Old 11-10-2013, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Did you ever find out what was causing the problem?
Old 11-12-2013, 06:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check tie rods FIRST. I seriously just had this exact issue so I jacked up my front and before I pulled the tires I checked the movement left to right compared to the tie rod. My passenger side was so worn out I could move the tire probably a half inch left to right without coming close to turning the steering. Slapped a couple new tie rods on (they were original and have 120k on them) and now it drives like it should. Easy job btw...if you can take a tire off you can change tie rods.

Quick Reply: front suspension noise ... car is all over the place