Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

best way to do away with front wheel spacers

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best way to do away with front wheel spacers

I have a 98 Trans Am and I'm rather new to the f-body scene. I see that everyone running skinnys is using wheel spacers to clear the stock front brakes. What is the most cost effective set up to change the brakes so I won't have to use spacers? I just hate the look of the front wheels sitting way out in the front!
Old 10-20-2013, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

properly offset rims .
Old 10-21-2013, 12:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Usually the people running skinny front runners aren't really doing it for the looks but for function at the track.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Maybe I need to be a little more clear. To run a 15" skinny on the front I need to grind the caliper and run a spacer with my Billit Specialties skinnys. I just want to do away with the spacers for now. Can I adapt brakes from a 6 cylinder car? Do I have to by a brake kit from Strange or Wilwood? Has anybody figured out a combo of junkyard parts that works? I want to buy a front k member and the narrowed a arms eventually, which would utilize the aftermarket brakes. But for now is there anything low buck that I can do?
Old 10-21-2013, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What about running a 17 inch wheel/tire combo with the right offset? No grinding or spacers or any other added complexity.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:25 PM
Teching In

thanks 1981TA, but I have the Billit Specialties on the car already, they are the same wheel size that I see lots of guys running, weather its a weld RTS or draglight or whatever, and they all stick out in the wheelwell to far for my liking because of the big brake/wheel spacer issue. The plan with my car is straight line only. I have motorcycles to go around corners with, so a 17" wheel tire package isn't in my game plan
Old 10-21-2013, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by e85racer
Maybe I need to be a little more clear. To run a 15" skinny on the front I need to grind the caliper and run a spacer with my Billit Specialties skinnys. I just want to do away with the spacers for now. Can I adapt brakes from a 6 cylinder car? Do I have to by a brake kit from Strange or Wilwood? Has anybody figured out a combo of junkyard parts that works? I want to buy a front k member and the narrowed a arms eventually, which would utilize the aftermarket brakes. But for now is there anything low buck that I can do?
All 98-02 fbody cars had the same exact brakes, be it a crank windows V6 car or a fully optioned SLP Firehawk/SS car-they're all the same.

93-97 LT1 cars had 1" smaller front brakes than the 98-02 Cars did, though. You'd have to change over the spindle but that's easy enough and a direct swap. That might be worth looking into.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:49 AM
Teching In

Thanks MasterTomos, that is the kind of info that i'm looking for
Old 10-22-2013, 12:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Look for spindles and calipers on car-part.com near you. Find some decently priced ones, and walk in with cash and they'll likely accept a lower amount than posted if you buy it all.

I'd pick up new hub/bearing assemblies while you're at it, along with new rotors and pads of course, maybe some stainless brake lines.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Look for spindles and calipers on car-part.com near you. Find some decently priced ones, and walk in with cash and they'll likely accept a lower amount than posted if you buy it all.

I'd pick up new hub/bearing assemblies while you're at it, along with new rotors and pads of course, maybe some stainless brake lines.
E85, you should consider selling off the original brakes. You will probably break even or even make a bit of money.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

^

98-02 spindles can go for $40-75 depending on the mileage/condition.
98-02 Calipers and brackets can go from $30-100 again depending on condition and if the pads/rotors are usable or not.
Put everything altogether (spindles, brackets, rotors, hubs, pads, calipers) and you'd probably be able to sell it altogether for $120 or so on the classifieds here really quick. This is a popular swap for the 93-97 cars.

Quick Reply: best way to do away with front wheel spacers