Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Poly vs. Rubber - What to replace with which?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poly vs. Rubber - What to replace with which?

Going to be going through the suspension on my 200k mile Camaro soon, so I'm trying to get an idea of where poly replacement bushings will be beneficial to use, and where I need to stick with rubber. Can someone give me an idea of which works best where in the front and rear suspension?
Old 10-21-2013, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Stick with rubber on the front lower A-arms rear vertical bushings, and with the rear LCAs.
Go with poly bushings on the sway-bars and end links, and for front TA mount.
BTW, I'd also consider poly motor mounts.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Stick with rubber on the front lower A-arms rear vertical bushings, and with the rear LCAs.
Go with poly bushings on the sway-bars and end links, and for front TA mount.
BTW, I'd also consider poly motor mounts.
I agree.

I'd also add poly panhard bar bushings.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Bluz28 and leadfoot.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:24 PM

Thanks, swapping in poly motor mounts and a poly trans mount Thursday, so that had me thinking about getting a general plan going as far as refurbishing the suspension. Appreciate the responses
Old 10-22-2013, 01:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest not doing a poly trans mount. It was way to much vibration for me. I swapped the rubber back in that. Its an easy swap so can try both.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:49 PM

Wanted to give the poly trans mount a try now that I'll have poly engine mounts in, since I've gone through 3 rubber mounts in the past two months. Figuring that's because the original engine mounts have 200k+ on them. Planning on giving the poly mount a try and swapping the rubber mount back in if the vibrations are too bad after it's had time to break in. A TA relocation kit's on the list too, read a few times on here that the tailshaft mounting contributes to breaking the rubber mounts too.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Once you get the poly engine mounts in I really doubt you'll go through anymore rubber trans mounts. The poly trans mount will be noticeable, but not so much if your engine has a larger cam. So if you go with a TA relocation trans X-member then there's really no benefit to having the poly trans mount(other than cost), and the rubber mount will be perfectly fine then. As far as bushings with the factory PHB I don't see much benefit with poly over new rubber bushings there so either choice will be fine.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have both the poly engine mount inserts as well as the tranny mount. There's a tad more transfer of vibration, bit it's certainly not objectionable. FWIW, I also have a poly torque arm bushing...
Old 10-22-2013, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i would like to know this as well, i want to change almost all the bushings in the car 9except trans already did) and want to know if theres a detailed list of what rubber and what poly bushings to use. Fml. i might just order a whole car kit from energy susp
Old 10-23-2013, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The only poly bushings you should use for the best ride is engine mounts and possible pan hard bar (needed for aftermarket adjustable bars). I have had poly on my trans, Front and rear LCA, PHB, and Engine mounts. i have gone back to rubber on all but engine mounts and PHB. The ride sucks with any poly on the front suspension, and is not needed in the rear. If they made rubber bushings for my BMR pan hard bar then i would switch them out.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:15 PM

Looks like I'll be replacing the ball joints too- may just end up ordering Strano's stock rebuild kit for those and the control arm bushings. Not wanting to make any radical changes in the suspension, since this is just for my DD 3.4, but since I'm taking it through mountain roads daily I'd like to firm it up a bit and get a bit more outta the suspension. Looking into Koni STR.T's and Strano springs to help out with that too. Still got a lot to learn when it comes to suspension, so I appreciate all the replies.

Quick Reply: Poly vs. Rubber - What to replace with which?