Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What is the purpose of an aftermarket k-member?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the purpose of an aftermarket k-member?

I see these online everywhere and people buy them and list them in their mods and they're like "yeah, i got a new K-member", but i can't figure out what is the benefit over the stock version besides weight. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:44 AM
TECH Regular

Mainly weight, but for clearance issues like long tubes or turbo setups
Old 10-22-2013, 11:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Weight being a major one; the other main one is increased clearance for other things like Turbocharger setups.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:02 PM
Teching In

I needed to do lower control arm bushings and after the bolts froze I just decided to go to an all tubular setup. The clearance you gain in massive compared to the stock piece. Working on the engine became a lot easier, especially for spark plug access. I wish I did it sooner, would of saved me tons of time.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:50 PM
TECH Regular

i recommend the road race one for added protection and minimal weight over the non road race one. a few people have had them fail during street use. havent heard any complaints about the road race version yet but some people say keep the steel one because its stronger. I personally would have gone with the Road race K member if i didnt get rid of my camaro
Old 10-22-2013, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Weight loss is a huge factor, tubular is structurally more rigid than pressed steel, and of course the clearance is a huge factor
Old 10-22-2013, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

^^You aren't suggesting a tubular k is stronger then the stocker are you? Because that's plain silly.

I did it for weight and clearance, and its damn good at both of them. I cringe going over pot holes though, as there have been failures before in the past.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
^^You aren't suggesting a tubular k is stronger then the stocker are you? Because that's plain silly.

I did it for weight and clearance, and its damn good at both of them. I cringe going over pot holes though, as there have been failures before in the past.
i understand its weaker, im assuming youre talking about the guy who commented above you. what i always wondered was if its designed for road racing, i assume a road race would put more stress on the Kmemeber than street use, then why is street driving tearing them up? is it the sudden shock of potholes doing it? i would assume youd get the same punishment at a track. even drag racing if youre lifting wheels and dropping them on a botched launch or just a regular drop i would imagine would be the equivalent of a regular pothole
Old 10-23-2013, 02:11 AM
Teching In

Who are you guys getting your k members from? And I said structurally more rigid not impact resistant
Old 10-23-2013, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

While I understand road racing can be stressful on a k-member, I would think the types of stress are different. Think of holding car through a long sweeping turn with high lateral Gs, compared to hitting a pot hole or speed bump on the street - a sudden impact which should never be encountered on a track.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The UMI k-member is designed to reduce weight (25+ lbs) and increase clearance.

The factory k-member is like a vault in strength, weight and lack of clearance.

We are on k-member 1167 in our 4th Gen Quality Control book with no particular strength troubles both in standard and road race versions. i.e. they don't break.

ramey
Old 10-23-2013, 11:20 AM
TECH Regular

I remember umi chiming their info on the last k member thread, if I still had my fbody I would have gone with the him road race version. Never really hear any quality problems or issues with their products.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
The UMI k-member is designed to reduce weight (25+ lbs) and increase clearance.

The factory k-member is like a vault in strength, weight and lack of clearance.

We are on k-member 1167 in our 4th Gen Quality Control book with no particular strength troubles both in standard and road race versions. i.e. they don't break.

ramey
How much does a stock one weigh?
And how much does yours weigh?
Old 10-23-2013, 12:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

I had some input on the UMI K-member design, and it's not your standard fare. BTW, I also sell them too, and I wouldn't if they had built the same old "lightweight" stuff that others do.

One thing I asked for, and got... and hasn't been mentioned here yet as a reason for going this way, is the greater range of camber and caster available to you. Also you'll notice the UMI uses two separate main tubes, that are then welded together which adds a ton of strength vs. a single tube. Yes, it weighs more than a single tube, but it doesn't fail either. And those were two things I really wanted to see, and discussed with Ryan way back when he told me he wanted to make a K-member. I'm glad he did it. I had one more thing I would have liked to have seen that didn't make it, but oh well.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-23-2013, 01:20 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by RENE'S RAGE
How much does a stock one weigh?
And how much does yours weigh?
I just weighed a RR at 34.6 lbs which means the standard version is 32-ish.

Factory is around 57 (standard disclaimer applies - approximate).
Old 10-23-2013, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

As an FYI, my k member had 17lbs on the shipping label. Yes its chromoly but that didn't save much over steel. Its a single tube design and yes I cringe over potholes on the hwy, a lot BC our roads suck here. There are low instances of failure but there are instances and I won't call brand names, you can search if you want to know. Another thing, bushings on tubular arms don't have the rivets to help secure the alignment settings. The bushing ends are smooth, there have been cases of bumps being hit and the control arm pops out of alignment. I believe tubular ks plus arms increase these chances. But nobody talks about that.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would never go with CM on a street car. I know it is stiffer than MS but it is also more brittle and prone to cracking under the harsh treatment of street driving.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've driven my car 200 miles or so this year
Old 10-24-2013, 07:49 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
I just weighed a RR at 34.6 lbs which means the standard version is 32-ish.

Factory is around 57 (standard disclaimer applies - approximate).
Thank you Sir!
Old 10-24-2013, 09:05 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Our Mild steel K-member comes in at 22.5lbs. We have set ours up for some of the worst roads in America! We have never had a failure on the street. This weight also includes the solid motor mounts!! If you would want to go with the chromoly it knocks about 5 pounds off.

http://www.midwestchassis.com/k-members.html

Quick Reply: What is the purpose of an aftermarket k-member?