Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI Performance Suspension Over Haul - 1999 SS - Lots of pics!

Old 06-18-2014, 12:29 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 95wannabe
So this car will be at Carlisle?
What days are the ride-along?
Yup on Carlisle.

Fri 9-3 and Sat 9-3 for ride alongs.

Friday night auto-x (16 show cars racing) and open auto-x Sunday 9am.

Hope to see you there!
Old 06-25-2014, 08:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Update:

The car attended its first event this past weekend and worked great. It was a ride along program where we give a two lap ride in the car around the autocross course. The course is pretty brutal, it is tight and has elevation change in it but the car survived with minimum issues doing over 300 laps in two days. But before we post pictures let me update this thread with the last few things we did before tracking the car. So stay tuned!

We rolled the rear fenders to prevent tearing the tire. With the car height the tire would easy cut when the suspension loaded.

We also replaced the rear control arms and panhard bar with Roto-joint items to allow more articulation.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn I was at Carlise... the line for the ride along was massive on Saturday so I didn't go. Your tent was empty at manufacturers row. lol had i known this car was there I woulda looked at least! Why the fake rivets though on the wheels???
Old 06-25-2014, 09:11 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ThoR294
Damn I was at Carlise... the line for the ride along was massive on Saturday so I didn't go. Your tent was empty at manufacturers row. lol had i known this car was there I woulda looked at least! Why the fake rivets though on the wheels???
Saturday afternoon was crazy for the ride-alongs. It took 3 hours and 3 cars Saturday running pretty much non-stop to get everyone through, we even had to turn people away at the end. Was a great event though!

Even it hadn't rained Saturday morning the lines might not have been so crazy in the afternoon.

Sorry you didn't get a ride!
Old 06-25-2014, 04:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Tech
Yup on Carlisle.

Fri 9-3 and Sat 9-3 for ride alongs.

Friday night auto-x (16 show cars racing) and open auto-x Sunday 9am.

Hope to see you there!
I was there...and rode along on Friday.
This car felt very good in the passenger seat. Flat and the brakes work.
My son AX's a 2nd gen and was also impressed with it. Actually, I think we spoke with Ramey about where you guys run. My son is a regular with the Susquehanna region and invited you over (the El Camino is familiar).
As a matter of fact, your in luck!...this Sunday will be at the Giant Center at Hershey Park.
Hope to see you there!
Good job UMI
Old 06-26-2014, 10:28 AM
FormerVendor

Thank you sir. Glad you guys enjoyed the rides! Pictures coming soon
Old 06-26-2014, 02:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Just ordered UMI upper and lower control arms today. Looking forward to getting my '00 SS back on the ground and testing them out!

Baby steps toward the full-blown package.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much noise do the roto joints make?

I have BMR 1" drop a arms and was wondering if your roto joints would work to replace the rod ends?
Old 06-28-2014, 05:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ssjason232

I have BMR 1" drop a arms and was wondering if your roto joints would work to replace the rod ends?
I have them in my rear LCA's. When greased and tightened they make no noise. I just recently had to regrease and tighten them up because they started to 'click' at lower speeds on decent sized bumps.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

So I started a thread a few minutes ago but since UMI is here maybe you can help me. I'm on a budget trying to do a basic drop on my 2000 SS. I want coils and LCA's. I already have one of your adj. Panhard bars. My question is:

For the LCA's I am on the fence about doing adj. LCA's and mounting them to the stock location on the frame or should I get the LCA relocation brackets and keep the stock LCA's for now. Are the brackets really that necessary if the LCA's are adjustable?

What do you think UMI?
Old 06-28-2014, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
I have them in my rear LCA's. When greased and tightened they make no noise. I just recently had to regrease and tighten them up because they started to 'click' at lower speeds on decent sized bumps.
Thanks for the feedback. If I can get these to fit the front LCAs I already have it may be a good way to go.

Maybe I'll just call UMI Monday.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssjason232

Roto-Joints are an excellent compromise to rod-end like performance and poly comfort. As JD_AMG said when you keep them greased and tightened, they should be very quiet! I always suggest Poly on the chassis end, and Roto-Joint on the opposite for someone more concerned about noise but wants excellent performance. That gives you the comfort through the chassis, and allows articulation on the rear mounting location; part #2033 http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=351

So I started a thread a few minutes ago but since UMI is here maybe you can help me. I'm on a budget trying to do a basic drop on my 2000 SS. I want coils and LCA's. I already have one of your adj. Panhard bars. My question is:

For the LCA's I am on the fence about doing adj. LCA's and mounting them to the stock location on the frame or should I get the LCA relocation brackets and keep the stock LCA's for now. Are the brackets really that necessary if the LCA's are adjustable?

What do you think UMI?
Adjustable LCA's aren't necessary for most applications. We recommend the use for adjustment when you need to fine tune your thrust angle, toe, or need to lengthen/shorten your wheelbase to fit a large tire within the wheel well.

It really depends on your plans with the car. If the rubber is worn and causing wheel hop or other issues to the performance, I would recommend a new LCA first. The brackets change the instant center to allow for better forward traction. Or in your application, it brings the tail end of the LCA back to the angle GM intended for after lowering your vehicle. Basically, it fixes the geometry you compromised when lowering your car.

Hope that makes sense!
Old 07-08-2014, 03:44 PM
FormerVendor

Finally got a few pictures available to share, there will be more coming.

The car got its stickers and competed in its first autox event. Over 2 days we did over 400 laps at the Carlisle autox track giving customer rides and running the Friday night shoot out. The car did great, the track was higher speed and fairly brutal. The Hawk DTC pads worked awesome and we chewed through a set of front rotors in just two days.

Rear window stickers.

Side view.

DTC pads throwing a few sparks.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

looks good.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:15 PM
FormerVendor

Here are a few pictures of our Camaro running All-American Sunday at the Good Guys PPG Nationals. We were able to place a respectable 3rd place and learned a lot about the car. We were very happy with the results.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ that grille........
Old 07-23-2014, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

time to replace your hubs lol
Old 07-24-2014, 07:53 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by camarokid91
time to replace your hubs lol
They were actually brand new for this event, but by next event the were ruined. We are going to try used ones since they might already be seated. Seems like this is a problem with no solution?
Old 07-24-2014, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
They were actually brand new for this event, but by next event the were ruined. We are going to try used ones since they might already be seated. Seems like this is a problem with no solution?
I've been having better luck with the moog brand hubs over the timkens. The moog are available at advance auto and have a 3 year warranty also. Stock ones are good if they aren't already loose, and they are getting hard to find. There have been a few solutions over on FFRAX, one uses a 3rd gen type spindle and bearings, one is an adapter that bolts on to the spindle so you can use a SKF c5/c6 race hub, and there is another company called Hoosier Performance Engineering that was making some billet machined hubs that look like stock but use giant tapered bearings. The adapter and the new Hoosier hubs allow you to keep ABS, the third gen set up does not. Sadly, none of these options are cheap. Luckily, changing hubs is a quick job.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Ryan, I sent you an email with some information about a solution

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: UMI Performance Suspension Over Haul - 1999 SS - Lots of pics!