Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni str.t or Bilstein slp

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni str.t or Bilstein slp

How's it going everyone? I have a 99 Camaro Z28 and I'm going to be putting the eibach pro kit springs on this winter. Going to be getting new shocks for it as well, looking for some feed back on which shock is better koni str.t or the slp Bilstein ones? I have heard that the Bilstein ones sag in the back and that's the last thing I want. Please let me know what you guys have, info, and maybe some pictures. Thank you all very much.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

I know this if your first post but you're going to get tons of crap about doing a search before making a new thread. I'll give you a little advice anyways though. If you're worried about sag then ditch the Eibach springs, those will cause worse sag than the shocks. In addition the spring rates aren't really correct for getting good performance from an f-body. I haven't heard anything about the Bilstein shocks sagging though.

If you can, definitely get better springs. BMR, Strano, Hotchkis, Vogtland, almost anything will be better than Eibach in terms of performance (I know the eibachs give the car a nice stance, until they start to sag...).

For your questions about the shocks, there are several pretty recent threads that can answer your question which is why people will tell you to just do a search. I have no personal experience with either, but everyone that has compared them says the Konis are better. I am planning to buy a set myself when they come back in stock.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Launching!

I agree with badformula, reconsider the Eibach pro kit. I'm running the Eibach/bilstein combo and I hate it in the rear. Going back this winter and replacing the eibachs for stranos, but there are several other options that are still an upgrade from Eibach. I'll probably leave the front alone because I honestly like the low profile and handling but the spring rate in the rear isn't enough for a decent launch.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Wow I didn't know they were that bad, kind of sucks that I bought them already. Thanks for your input guys.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Which Pro-kit do you have, the 93-97 LT1 Pro-kit, or the 98-02 LS1 Pro-Kit?
The LT1 Pro-kit has the better front spring rates(377-600 lb.in.), the LS1 Pro-kit front spring rates are to low(400 lb.in.) ,the rear springs rates are to low on both(the LT1 Pro-kit is slightly better).
IMO, I don't think you could go wrong with either shock choice.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 11-03-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I got the Bilstein and Eibach kit on mine and I really dont notice a sag. and to be honest If you already got the kit put it on I bet you'll like the ride I know I do on mine. One important thing is to change bushings cuz mine were all worn out and it makes a heck of a diff.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

I've seen some before and after pics of the sag from the Eibachs. It doesn't happen right away. But after several thousand miles it seems bound to happen. If you think it rides good with Eibach/Bilstein then just imagine how much better the Strano/Koni combo would be.

OP since you already have the springs, you might as well try them out. Not sure what your goals are for the car. But if the performance is not adequate for you, you can upgrade to better springs later on. But I think that you should at least pair the Eibachs with the best possible shocks within your budget to get anything more than good looks out of them. Sucks that the Koni STR.T will be out of stock for a while but imo it would be worth waiting.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:42 AM
On The Tree

Hey, I know you are excited to do suspension and probably everyone around you locally says to just get ebiach with blistein but, I think you ought to do some research first. I went with Koni Yellows and Strano springs because I truly believe it to be the absolute best for our cars. I don't think I can honestly say there is anything better except for maybe the bmr springs. From what I understand koni oranges (str.r) are similar to blisteins... I could be wrong but It seems to me like --if you can afford it-- you should grab some koni yellows and some springs that don't lower more than 1.5 inchs. Honestly I would choose between bmr and strano's first. They both sit a little differently. If niether of those two options satisfy you then the next best thing--imho-- are the lt1 style prokit springs from eibach. The slp springs won't really lower you too much and you probably wouldn't notice them, they are a fine option but are compromised at best. The spring rates aren't that great and the ratio/balance front to rear is off. Same goes for pro-kit.

The choice is yours but remember springs don't really effect the handling as much as shocks and swaybars do. I felt a bigger difference after I installed my strano 35m front bar than I did when I installed my koni+strano shocks/springs. Just fyi.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:08 PM
Teching In

bilsteins
Old 10-24-2014, 11:07 PM

Any new input on this subject? I'm trying to decide on which shocks to buy.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Brandonstransmission
Any new input on this subject? I'm trying to decide on which shocks to buy.
IMO, the build quality of the Bilsteins is a little better than the Koni SA sport shocks, so I would be inclined to think that the Bilstein build quality would be noticeably better than the STR.T shocks. The STR.T on the other hand has a little more/better rebound dampening than the Bilsteins so it'll do a better job controlling stiffer lowering springs. If the STR.T shocks are in stock and you have lowering springs then get them, with stock springs go with the Bilsteins. Now if the STR.T's are out of stock and you need shock now then the Bilsteins will still work surprisingly good even with lowering springs.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
IMO, the build quality of the Bilsteins is a little better than the Koni SA sport shocks, so I would be inclined to think that the Bilstein build quality would be noticeably better than the STR.T shocks. The STR.T on the other hand has a little more/better rebound dampening than the Bilsteins so it'll do a better job controlling stiffer lowering springs. If the STR.T shocks are in stock and you have lowering springs then get them, with stock springs go with the Bilsteins. Now if the STR.T's are out of stock and you need shock now then the Bilsteins will still work surprisingly good even with lowering springs.
I'm buying lowering springs at the same time. Eibach sportline, I won't be racing this car just want to enjoy driving around town as my second car.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you truly want to "enjoy driving around town" there's plenty of better option than the Eibach Sportline springs, but if you have you mind dead set on Sportline springs then at least male sure you get the LS1 #4.7038 , not the LT1 #4.3138. The LS1 Sportline springs have higher spring rates better suited for the very limited suspension(compression) travel you'll have with more extreme lowering than the stock like spring rates the LT1 Sportlines have.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I have both in stock, the STR.T's and the Bilstein's. Take your pick. For better performance I like the STR.T's better. For ride, the Bilstein's are slightly better when we are using stock springs. However, lowering springs change things. You need more control when you go lower and stiffer (and more when it's both).

The Koni's have a lifetime warranty, the SLP Bilstein's 90 days. They are similarly priced, almost exactly priced the same in fact. I'll leave it up to you.

I would however not recommend Eibach Sportlines, along with a few other springs just because you can get way better springs unless looks are the primary goal.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-29-2014, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had a few camaros with many suspension set ups. I would for sure stay away from sportlines for several reasons. Yes the car looks good as far as stance but rode like crap and I would scrape and bang the bottom of the car ALOT.

With LT's it got much worse no matter how good they where tucked underneath. As we speak I don't have the best combo but some of the stuff I bought I got a bit lucky and got a good deal on them. Now my set up is Bilstein Shocks and BMR Springs. My suspension is all poly and honestly all the camaros I've driven that made a massive difference in how the car feels and turns in.

It almost felt like and I had stock shocks and springs then the car handled nothing like stock at all. I've heard bushings makes a difference never thought they changed the entire feel of the car. Either way up top people have given you great advice in the end its preference and what you like the car to do.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did bilsteins on my car and i love them. Only thing i would change them out for is koni yellows or coil overs. But if you want to stay on the cheaper side like i wanted to, bilsteins FTW. Im running BMR springs as well. Daily driver year round, about 25 miles a day.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Ok guys... I hate to tell you this but the Bilstein's are NOT the best long term answer. They just don't have as much rebound as I'd prefer, at least with my springs but I've never been on to do the "hey they work just fine with stock shock" thing either. Yes many people buy that combination, and a lot of them call back in a year or two to upgrade the shocks simply because the valving the Bilstein's have isn't ideal for springs like we use which are both shorter and quite a bit stiffer than any OEM spring including the SLP springs.

For me, now that the Koni STR.T's are here after YEARS of waiting, those are the preferred shock with lowering springs. Bilstein's are better for stock height cars as an upgrade for less aggressive springs. You CAN use them with lowering springs but the long term control is not as good as it with the Koni STR.T's. I say this looking at Bilstein's that have just arrived in stock too, so it's not a matter of what's most beneficial to say, it's just how the shocks work.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-27-2016, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Ok guys... I hate to tell you this but the Bilstein's are NOT the best long term answer. They just don't have as much rebound as I'd prefer, at least with my springs but I've never been on to do the "hey they work just fine with stock shock" thing either. Yes many people buy that combination, and a lot of them call back in a year or two to upgrade the shocks simply because the valving the Bilstein's have isn't ideal for springs like we use which are both shorter and quite a bit stiffer than any OEM spring including the SLP springs.

For me, now that the Koni STR.T's are here after YEARS of waiting, those are the preferred shock with lowering springs. Bilstein's are better for stock height cars as an upgrade for less aggressive springs. You CAN use them with lowering springs but the long term control is not as good as it with the Koni STR.T's. I say this looking at Bilstein's that have just arrived in stock too, so it's not a matter of what's most beneficial to say, it's just how the shocks work.
Is this still the same consensus? I'm looking at replacing my shocks and struts. I just bought the car, it is lowered (not sure yet what springs)...
Old 09-27-2016, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KissMyWhiteSS
Is this still the same consensus? I'm looking at replacing my shocks and struts. I just bought the car, it is lowered (not sure yet what springs)...
Yeah this is still the consenses.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you.

Quick Reply: Koni str.t or Bilstein slp