Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Opinions on Motor/Trans Mounts!!

Old 11-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Motor/Trans Mounts!!

I wanted options on what brand is best and what you guys recommend I have a friend that's gets 50% off on parts from autozone I don't know if there any good I'm new at this kinda thing iv never had to replace them in any car I had. Btw the car is a 98 trans am
Old 11-11-2013, 12:40 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Cj_ls1
I wanted options on what brand is best and what you guys recommend I have a friend that's gets 50% off on parts from autozone I don't know if there any good I'm new at this kinda thing iv never had to replace them in any car I had. Btw the car is a 98 trans am
If you are looking for performance and willing to sacrifice a little extra vibration I would look at doing poly-urethane motor mounts and transmission mount. Both Prothane and Energy Suspension off these mounts at close to the same price. The nice thing about these mounts is that they will really limit how much movement you have in the driveline and they will last much longer than the factory rubber ones do.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 11-11-2013, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

It all depends on how picky you are and what you consider "vibrations".. I guess. I have the poly mounts on both the motor and the tranny and I never noticed anything nearly that upsetting afterward. Lots of people though complain about the vibrations... but I think a lot of people also are hoping to turn their fbody into a cadiilac.

My old rubber mounts must have rotted out at some point because my shifter would go nuts wobbling around under accelleration. Poly mounts fixed that for me.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:48 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

As a rule of thumb, go same level of "hardness" for each mount or harder on the engine. So either poly/rubber engine/trans, poly/poly, or solid/poly.

I have the Prothane poly motor mounts and they work fine.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:44 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Happy with my poly motor mounts; I didn't notice any difference from the stock rubber. I have a poly trans mount to go in when I do the clutch in the spring.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Poly at both ends for me. Didn't notice any real difference in transmission of vibrations, but I think low frequency noises are amplified a little....
Old 11-11-2013, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I loved my poly motor mounts and transmission mount when I had my WS6. Everything felt more firm and in place, and it helped with the "peppy'ness" of the throttle it felt like. My motor mounts were Prothane and my transmission mount was an Energy Suspension. I did not use the "plate" that came with the Energy trans mount though. My A4 was perfect and didn't vibrate at all.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it all depends on the durometer of the bushing, my man. for a street/strip (mostly street), 65A is the way to go... they're usually red.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:51 AM
Staging Lane

I threw in a ES poly transmission mount and the whole car rattled like a box of rocks. Pulled it back out and removed the plate and ground down the two little humps. Vibration gone.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

IMO, poly mounts for motor mounts, and rubber for trans. Poly mounts on the trans make my car about rattle apart, ESPECIALLY on cold morning when first cranked.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SilverLS1
IMO, poly mounts for motor mounts, and rubber for trans. Poly mounts on the trans make my car about rattle apart, ESPECIALLY on cold morning when first cranked.
Your avatar says you're in Florida....what do YOU know about cold mornings??

Old 11-17-2013, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

I live in the most upper west part of Florida It was 34 degrees at my house when I woke up last week one day, and it's barely November! Then again, it was 70 when I woke up this morning......
Old 11-17-2013, 12:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SilverLS1
I live in the most upper west part of Florida It was 34 degrees at my house when I woke up last week one day, and it's barely November! Then again, it was 70 when I woke up this morning......
It's not even winter yet, and we've already had a couple of low 20s mornings...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinions on Motor/Trans Mounts!!