Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

QA1 Double Adjustables

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 07:28 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default QA1 Double Adjustables

Im looking into getting a set of QA1 double adjustable front drag struts. I want the car to sit about 1.5" lower than stock in the front. My question is what height should I get? They offer a 9'' Compressed/12.8" extended, 10.5/15, 14.5/19.5, and 12.1/18.2. Thanks
Old 11-09-2013, 08:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you willing to sacrifice ride quality, handling, and overall feel of the car with those shocks?
Old 11-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, I was thinking I could leave them soft for a ncie ride on the street and stiffen them up for better handling...
Old 11-11-2013, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobs-00-SS
well, I was thinking I could leave them soft for a ncie ride on the street and stiffen them up for better handling...
That's not how it works, especially with non-gas charged drag shocks like QA1s.
"softer" doesn't always mean better or softer ride quality, and "stiffer" certainly doesn't mean better handling.
The "softer" settings on those will leave you bouncing and floating about, while when you hit a bump it will still be jarring.
The "stiffer" settings will still be floaty and disconnected but less bouncy, yet you will be rattling your teeth out at the same time.
Why? Because the valving is ****, its a cheap drag shock made only to transfer weight and thats its. Then to top it off its not gas charged, so the more you work the shock the more fade you will get, and the worse its going to feel and respond.
If you want a great all around shock look at Koni SAs, Koni STRs, or Bilstien HD/SLPs. If you want a coilover look at KWs, Penskies or race bilstiens.
You will be able to cut good 60ft still with the right tires, yet handle and ride lightyears better than you could even imagine on a drag shock like QA1s, strange and Afco.
If you really need that 0.1 better 60ft and are willing to really sacrafice ride, handling and drivability of the car then get a drag shock (or you could drill a hole in the stock shocks letting the oil drain out and basically get the same result for free... ok but seriously don't do that its dangerous )

Quick Reply: QA1 Double Adjustables