Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Any way to keep hal springs from being bouncy

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any way to keep hal springs from being bouncy

I've about had it with my hal front springs. My headers are taking a beating. Is there any practical way to use the stock springs with the hal shocks? Every time I hit a little bump in the road or hit the brakes after speeding I bottom out.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The bottoming is due to a lack of spring rate in most cases. The springs job is to support the car. Too little rate, you bottom out. As for bouncy, that is due to insufficient shock damping. A shock that can't control the springs will give a bouncy ride. This is the problem with HAL's or any "drag" setup. Too little damping and often too little spring rate. You need more shocks and springs, or so it seems. This is a trade off, 1/4 mile performance for decreased driveability. (This is why I run a road race setup, it's a little stiffer, but it will do anything I want it to and no "problems"). But, a good drag setup will often act just as you describe.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're using the HAL drag springs, ditch them asap. The spring perch can be modified by cutting it to allow it to fit on the HAL shock. It takes some work but worth it because you can use the front stock springs.

Quick Reply: Any way to keep hal springs from being bouncy