Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

front suspension squeaks

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default front suspension squeaks

Im trying to trace down a squeak that occurs with my 98ws6 whenever i go over small ridges or cracked roads. Not necessarily speed bumps.

Its coming from front drivers side, and it sounds like a bunch of mice squeaking when im driving through crappy roads(kinda like bad wheel bearings). You can also hear it when i push the car down when parked close to the drivers side windshield, so i think that eliminates any bearing options. (you cant hear it if i lift the front and spin the wheel w/my hand)

Ive already replaced both sway bars, along with their brackets and end links not too long ago. Maybe 2 or 3 months ago, and i also greased them. Ive also sprayed both upper and lower a-arms with lithium grease (its all i had at the moment besides wd40) to see if the noise would temporarily stop.

My car has a little over 100k miles and front suspension is still stock besides front sway bar.

What else can i check for in the front suspension area that can make a squeak? Ive got bmr springs waiting to be installed once i get a hold of some shocks, but could shocks or springs squeak?

EDIT: it also has new timken wheel hubs in the front
Old 12-10-2013, 08:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have poly mounts on your sway bar? Poly is notorious for squeaking.

Otherwise having someone jounce the car while you feel different spots, in most cases you'll be able to feel it in a bushing or mount. Check for signs of wear in your bushings.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Theyre strano hollows. I think they were poly from what i could tell. I made sure to grease them very well though. And they were installed maybe 3 months ago new. Would they squeak that fast? Ive had poly suspension in other fbodies and it never squeaked for over a year.

I will try and inspect the condition of the bushings during the day to get a better view.

Thanks for the suggestions
Old 12-10-2013, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

so i went ahead and checked it out tonight instead of waiting and you were right. Its the drivers side c-clamp bushing that is squeaking. Just by moving it with my hand made it squeak loud.

Im going to buy some mobile 1 synthetic grease and get it greased up tomorrow

Thanks again

Quick Reply: front suspension squeaks