Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hotchkis or SLP LEVEL II springs

Old 12-15-2013, 11:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hotchkis or SLP LEVEL II springs

Hi,

i have a question about a common subject about springs, it maybe asked several times, but i am living in the Netherlands (Europe), so i must be sure for i order them, i can't send them back if i don't like them.

Is there someone having the Hotchkis springs (springrate 285-525 and 100-140) or SLP Level II (springrate 300-450 and 115-185) on a 3.8V6 Camaro or Firebird.

I know the Hotchkis springs should be a drop of 1", and the SLP Level II a drop of 0.5", but this measured on a V8.

Is it possible to measure the height between the fender and ground (see pictures), see pictures, thanks for the effort.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being that the curb weight on the V6 cars is very similar to the curb weights of V8 cars... I would think you will be just fine looking at pictures of the springs you listed whether they are on a V8 or V6 car.
FWIW I have Hotchkis springs on my SS and the stance/ride is great even though they may be a touch lower than the advertised 1" drop.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have hotchkis and I love the stance
Old 12-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys for the responce,

Is it possible you could measure the height of your cars ?
Thanks again
Old 12-16-2013, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Please note that this is not the appropriate way to measure how much a spring lowers a 4th gen fbody. You should measure from the corner of the wheel well at the body frame.

I went from Sportlines to SLP Level II springs on my car (my car was optioned with them) and my car rides very high in the front. It sits as high as a stock Z28 so if you are looking for the lowered apearance I would stick away from those.

There are quite a few options in the 1-1.5" zone that should provide a good stance. BMR, Hotchkis, Pro Kit, etc.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Consider just going with a set of Koni SA shocks at least up front with the spring seat on the lower perch position for a 3/4" lowering and doing the Hose Mod with the rear springs for about the same amount of drop.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why isnt Strano's springs an option? and some Bilstein HS shocks.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:16 PM
Teching In

I allready have a set of Koni SA, and the SS swaybars (32 and 19mm) with the endlinks and bushings.

Some speedbumps here in the Netherlands are very high, so i am affraid if i drop it more than an 1", my airdam or even worse the front bumper is going to be cracked.

The problem with my front springs are when i drive of an speedbump (with a bit of speed, not much), the front springs getting pressed in a lot, the airdam hits the ground. (i hope i explained it correctly, my english is not so very good)
I have already adjust the front shocks (Koni SA), but it didn't help.
So i was thinking about some Hotchkis or SLP Level II springs, and i like the SLP Level II springs because they lower the car about 0,5", but i don't know what it will do an a 3.8V6 Camaro (manual gearbox).
Old 12-17-2013, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

I have hotchkis springs on an LT1 Camaro with 17" wheels and my car measures just a hair under 26" from the highest point of the wheel opening to the ground.
If I had it to do again I think I'd get Strano springs but hotchkis springs are ok for a daily driver.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bud M
I have hotchkis springs on an LT1 Camaro with 17" wheels and my car measures just a hair under 26" from the highest point of the wheel opening to the ground.
If I had it to do again I think I'd get Strano springs but hotchkis springs are ok for a daily driver.
Thanks Bud M,
the height of 26" is this front and rear ?
Old 12-17-2013, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

Front 25 11/16" rear 26 1/16.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bud M
Front 25 11/16" rear 26 1/16.
thanks,
Old 12-17-2013, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by pv-camaro
I allready have a set of Koni SA, and the SS swaybars (32 and 19mm) with the endlinks and bushings.

Some speedbumps here in the Netherlands are very high, so i am affraid if i drop it more than an 1", my airdam or even worse the front bumper is going to be cracked.

The problem with my front springs are when i drive of an speedbump (with a bit of speed, not much), the front springs getting pressed in a lot, the airdam hits the ground. (i hope i explained it correctly, my english is not so very good)
I have already adjust the front shocks (Koni SA), but it didn't help.
So i was thinking about some Hotchkis or SLP Level II springs, and i like the SLP Level II springs because they lower the car about 0,5", but i don't know what it will do an a 3.8V6 Camaro (manual gearbox).
So, you're saying you already tried moving the spring seat snap ring down onto the lower slot on the front shock bodies?
This lowers the front spring seat down resulting in the front ride height to be .5" to .75" lower than stock.
Now as far as scraping the under nose air-dam I wouldn't worry about it, I've been scrapping the air-dam daily for about 14yrs and it's nowhere near needing to be replaced.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 12-17-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car in my sig... with Hotchkis springs and 275/40/17 tires at 32psi. Measured from the top of the wheel arch to level ground is sitting at 26.25" right front... 26.75" right rear... 26.5" left front... 27" left rear. I rarely ever scrape the car or the front airdam.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SuperSport01
My car in my sig... with Hotchkis springs and 275/40/17 tires at 32psi. Measured from the top of the wheel arch to level ground is sitting at 26.25" right front... 26.75" right rear... 26.5" left front... 27" left rear. I rarely ever scrape the car or the front airdam.
Thanks, thats what i needed to know
Old 12-21-2013, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
So, you're saying you already tried moving the spring seat snap ring down onto the lower slot on the front shock bodies?
This lowers the front spring seat down resulting in the front ride height to be .5" to .75" lower than stock.
Now as far as scraping the under nose air-dam I wouldn't worry about it, I've been scrapping the air-dam daily for about 14yrs and it's nowhere near needing to be replaced.
I didn't explained it right, i think.
I have the SA koni shocks, and the front shocks are adjustable from soft to hard (8 way) i did hoped when i adjusted it to hard, the car would not dive so much, but it did not help much.
So that is the reason i was looking for some stiffer springs
Old 12-21-2013, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

The Koni SA shocks only have an adjustable rebound (extension). The adjustment does not affect compression of the shock.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:17 AM
Teching In

i changed the stock springs with the SLP LEVEL II springs this weekend, the springs in the rear was easy, but the front was a little more difficult.
The rear lowered between 0,5" and 3/4" and the front lowered nothing (till now, maybe they settle more after some time), but this is fine for me, the car is nicely leveled now.

When the weather is better i will post some more pictures.

I have still one question, the rear lowered between 0,5" and 3/4", do i need a new adjustable torque arm and panhard ?, it's a 3.8V6 Camaro.

I have a read somewhere that the SS Camaro/Firehawk with the optional LEVEL II suspension package came out of the factory (SLP) with the factory panhard and torque arm (they where both non adjustable), because of the LEVEL II springs did lower so less.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

i changed the stock springs with the SLP LEVEL II springs this weekend, the springs in the rear was easy, but the front was a little more difficult.
The rear lowered between 0,5" and 3/4" and the front lowered nothing (till now, maybe they settle more after some time), but this is fine for me, the car is nicely leveled now.

I have still one question, the rear lowered between 0,5" and 3/4", do i need a new adjustable torque arm and panhard ?, it's a 3.8V6 Camaro.

I have a read somewhere that the SS Camaro/Firehawk with the optional LEVEL II suspension package came out of the factory (SLP) with the factory panhard and torque arm (they where both non adjustable), because of the LEVEL II springs did lower so less.
No, a new TA is not necessary. The only item I'd check is the front TA mount rubber bushing which will deteriorate/break-down over time. As far as the PHB you're perfectly fine with the stock PHB unless the bar is damaged or the bushings are worn out, or the rear end is off-center far enough to cause the tires to rub which shouldn't be a issue at all unless you decide to run wide rear wheels and tires.

Looking at the photo above it looks like I see an open snap ring grove in your front Koni SA shocks. It's in the open rectangular window right below the bottom of the spring seat. FYI, if this is correct then you already have the Koni SA front shocks set for a .5"-.75" front lowering.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 01-05-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

My Hawk and my fathers Hawk, both with the level II suspension, have the factory torque arm and panhard.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hotchkis or SLP LEVEL II springs