Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

01 Trans am making grinding noise accelerating around corners - wheel hub?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Trans am making grinding noise accelerating around corners - wheel hub?

I have a 2001 Trans am that has been making a grinding noise since I bought it two years ago. It only makes the noise when giving it gas around a 90 degree left or right turn. The sound is coming from the wheel well area. On a left turn I hear it in the left side, on a right turn on the right side. Both sides sound about the same. I also hear faint noise from both hubs driving down the road, more so on the highway.

I assume it is the wheel hubs but would like to know for sure before purchasing and replacing. If I need to replace them I have decided on timken wheel hubs.

Last edited by Mark01ta; 12-18-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Teching In

In another thread someone said a symptom of a bad hub would be that with the tire elevated off the ground you would be able to move the wheel/tire up and down a bit. I jacked up the passenger side and could not move the wheel up or down at all.

I created this thread because I have been looking for an answer since I bought this car and haven't been able to find a someone with the same symptoms, grinding only around turns under acceleration.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure it is coming from the front and not the rear?
Old 12-18-2013, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Yea, drove it again to make sure. It is only making the noise turning left while giving it gas. Couldn't get it to do it on right turns, i can clearly hear it is coming from the front, it is possible I'm wrong. The car apparently had a front end collision before I got it.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are certain it only does it when turning in one direction, you can swap the hubs from left to right and see if the problem changes to the other direction.

Quick Reply: 01 Trans am making grinding noise accelerating around corners - wheel hub?