Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension overhaul

I plan on overhauling the suspension but my question is, will I have proper ground clearance with 3" true dual exhaust? I want to run Kooks from the headers back *full system* but I don't want to crush the long tubes, or cats since It's a street rod.

Should I stay stock height or is it save to drop an inch or so without problems? I also wanted to run 17" Torq Thrust II's so keep that in mind too with dropping it.

One last thing, I wanted to keep my springs and suspension upgrades to a single color, red, I prefer... Just so it doesn't look like a box of crayons...

It's a lot but I need a starting route what to buy first and where to start so I'm not going back and forth on removing things as I go.

This is my first Fbody and full suspension upgrade.

I'm not worried about price as long as it holds up to it's title... I will be streeting this so I could occasionally hit a pot hole, or speed bump...

What do you suggest? If you could also PM me pictures of your ride that would be great, I am clueless where to start here..
Old 12-26-2013, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1998FTA
I plan on overhauling the suspension but my question is, will I have proper ground clearance with 3" true dual exhaust? I want to run Kooks from the headers back *full system* but I don't want to crush the long tubes, or cats since It's a street rod.

Should I stay stock height or is it save to drop an inch or so without problems? I also wanted to run 17" Torq Thrust II's so keep that in mind too with dropping it.

One last thing, I wanted to keep my springs and suspension upgrades to a single color, red, I prefer... Just so it doesn't look like a box of crayons...

It's a lot but I need a starting route what to buy first and where to start so I'm not going back and forth on removing things as I go.

I'm not worried about price as long as it holds up to it's title... I will be streeting this so I could occasionally hit a pot hole, or speed bump...

What do you suggest? If you could also PM me pictures of your ride that would be great, I am clueless where to start here..
You need to start by thinking of what you want out of the car (better handling? Better ride? Better launch? Just looks? ) and then search the topic, it has been covered thousands of times. Then if you get lost and have questions, ask.
Next forget about pretty colors. Would you rather have the right parts that work best, or parts that just all come in the same color? You can paint things if you really want to.
Furthermore do NOT go and buy and install bunch of parts at the same time, especially if you don't know what they really do. Install things one at a time so you will see the difference each make, some can compliment each other, others can make things worse, and you won't personally know this if you just throw it all on at once. "Kits" are not always the best, as there usually are still miss matching parts for certain jobs(handling vs drag vs ride), and parts you don't need at all.
You can start here in the stickies:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...eal-world.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...e-newbies.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...r-springs.html
Old 01-05-2014, 12:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1998FTA
You'll have ground clearance IF it's tucked right in the 3". You'll need a pan hard bar relocation kit for the rear, but then that makes your pan hard bar not level (as it should be level), so then you buy the "other half" from Jegs, which lowers the drive side. $185 + $80
17s fit while being lowered. Dropping ride height isn't a problem depending on what you're going for.
Then buy them in that particular color. Most companies sell all their parts in the same color options. Mine is red, for example, and I prefer BMR. All preference.

There is no suspension upgrade that will save you from pot holes or speed bumps. If you lower it, you'll have speed bump challenges.
You didn't specify what you want. Lowered? Drag? Handling?
Response is in bold, above.

Quick Reply: Suspension overhaul