Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Solid motor mounts vs poly

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 11:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Solid motor mounts vs poly

Okay everybody says solid motor mounts gives you better performance. my question is how much are we talking in the quarter mile. because the new car we have with solid motor mounts rides like crap. has anyone done for real life comparison in the quarter mile. This car is going to be running a torv 3cam 3800 stall 373 gears drag radials, sub frame connectors. what would you expect this car to gain or lose in a quarter mile. Going to poly vs solid...
Old 12-28-2013, 09:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely Nothing. I run poly mounts on all my dd f-body cars (one of them making 450rwhp) and have no rough riding complaints at all. No way Id run solids.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been running solid motor and poly trans mount for years on my TA, the solid motor mount causes some vibration at idle, but smoothes out with just a touch of gas. I'm used to it, i don't even notice it anymore.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Launching!

Ok my question is performance. Is it just throttle responce. Or can it be related to a figure in the 1/4 mile. Like 2/10ths quicker with soild vs poly. Any real numbers out there?
Old 12-28-2013, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Unless your stock mounts are completely worn out and the engine moves all overI would say little to no 1/4 mi difference, nor how it could make much of a difference. The only difference I noticed was in handling because it kept the drivetrain from moving at all when weight transitions.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CARFREAKS
Ok my question is performance. Is it just throttle responce. Or can it be related to a figure in the 1/4 mile. Like 2/10ths quicker with soild vs poly. Any real numbers out there?
You'd probably see better 1/4 times if you took a dump before the race than comparing poly and solid mounts.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kgkern01
Unless your stock mounts are completely worn out and the engine moves all overI would say little to no 1/4 mi difference, nor how it could make much of a difference. The only difference I noticed was in handling because it kept the drivetrain from moving at all when weight transitions.
I agree......
Old 12-31-2013, 01:36 AM
Launching!

Thank you guys I was saying the same thing but my mechanic kept arguing with me saying no it adds more performance so I figured we would put it up on LS1TECH and see what happened... Respectfully Champ
Old 01-01-2014, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kgkern01
This, the feel is significantly different, I've ran solid mounts on the bird for 9 years or so, there is an unmistakable difference in feel. But it's not all that severe at all IMO.
I swapped over to the solids from my worn stock mounts after I started reading repeated accounts of the poly mounts melting due to header heat.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:23 AM
Staging Lane

solid mounts for me feel good while driving. at stops and idle the car shakes pretty good, while driving i love it. you need to see if you can handle the non-driving part of a solid mount. poly would be a good compromise.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:52 PM
11 Second Club

I wouldn't put solids on a DD. With some mileage the interiors in these cars already rattle and vibrate. At idle with solid mounts it sounds like an industrial band is playing in back seat. As someone said above it goes away as soon as you touch the throttle. It really isn't bad at all going down the road. I think my poly trans mount is at fault for more vibration while driving than the solid motor mounts. It's when you are idling in traffic or in a drive thru that it gets annoying. The cup holder in my silver car drowns out the stock radio at idle. The poly mounts in the blue car were much better.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:12 PM
12 Second Club

Solid mounts are fine. I've had some vibrations issues after installing my poly trans mount, but nothing I would complain about.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

I can't speak to f-bodies, but back in my honda days, I "rebuilt" 3 of the 4 motor mounts on my last accord by filling the free space in the mount with 3m window weld (urethane in a caulking gun tube, it was a cheap "ghetto" poly mount insert sorta option) and it for sure stiffened things up but I did notice under certain conditions (temperature, while at idle and some other things) there where moments when I would get a large vibration thru the entire dash of the car, it wasn't a big deal and I explained that to the new owner when I sold it. Given my experience with that I wouldn't consider solid mounts personally, there is no way you'll see enough of a difference to justify solid mounts on a car that would be street driven more then drag strip driven.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:52 AM
On The Tree

I ran solid mounts for a summer because the 1 7/8s headers would torque into the k-member at take off, they were to much for a semi-daily vehicle so i put poly's in and im much happier.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would stick with POLYs unless this is only a 1/4 call only that you trailer to the track.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

could using solid mounts crack a aluminum block ?
Old 01-19-2014, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by garygnu
could using solid mounts crack a aluminum block ?
That has always been my question. If people have been running them for years I guess not but I feel like if you had the slightest bit of misalignment or "tweaked" k-member and a huge cam, couldn't it put a lot of stress on the block?

Quick Reply: Solid motor mounts vs poly