Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Who is having problems with Eibach springs sagging in the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 03:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who is having problems with Eibach springs sagging in the rear?

I am on my 3rd set of rear Eibach Pro Kit coils on a 01 SS... as far as weight I removed the spare tire and jack, but in its place is a 15 lb bottle, and on the other sub a 4 lb custom fiberglass box with 1 12 in it... nothing too big at all and barely more than stock. Tires are 275/35/18s which maintain the OE rolling diameter... as far as the car, mods are in sig... new KYB 8 way AGX shocks, full suspension, and car makes about 420ish on motor and I have a 175 shot on top of it that I use MAYBE once a month at most...

Heres the story... Springs went on origionally around 30K miles when the car was bolt ons only... was fine. Then I swapped a LS6 in there around 38K miles.. still ok, then got a Spec stge 3 clutch, added a G5X2, gears etc... So anyways, as soon as I got the more power I noticed the right rear started to sag a couple weeks later... about .75 inches lower than the driver side... The nitrous kit is about the same weight, or less than the spare, so that shouldnt matter at all... but it got worse and worse to the point where the tire was literally tucking under the fender! So I got the coils warrantied from where I purchased them... lifetime warranty and all so didnt bother me. They were even again and fine for about 6 weeks or so... then again right side started to sag! again new coils... same thing though 6 weeks or so and its down a half inch once again! Now I just decided to swap the driver and passanger coils (Which might I add at this time I can just jack the rear end of the car up and literally push the coil bench press style out without using a spring compressor so swapping them takes 1 minute tops! Never did that when they were new!) Now they are even again to the point where you cant really notice by looking at them... its lower than it used to be with about .75 inches between the fender and the tire, where as the majority of pro kit camaros have 1.5-2 inchs (my 98 had much more). At this time I also converted to Drag Radials and upgraded to the G5X3, which really made the car squat hard when I shifted or launched...

Anyways I left them like that for about another couple months figuring nothing would come of this and im just stuck that way, and I noticed the ride getting really bad... Although I have my KYBs turned up pretty high so I just figured the shocks were responsable for the harshness and loud THUDs when hitting larger bumps... One day though I just got fed up with the worthless ride the car offers and decided to cut the bump stops a bit... I look under the car and get this... The passanger side bump stop is just resting on the axle at ride height... the driver side has about .5 inches of clearance. If you put a lil weight on the spoiler the driver side will rest on it too! So I basically had NO suspension travel whatsoever which was causing the worthless ride! Well, I knew cutting the bump stop an inch wouldnt help anything, so I removed them completly and fabricated a set of 1/2 inch thick polyurethane bump stops that gave about 2 inches of clearance on each side! I drove it around and the ride was MUCH better... HOWEVER... now even the smallest bump will force the rear end right into the bump stops... it feels like the car has no springs in it at all! Im guessing all the power from the way the car squats on the DRs from how I shift just killed the spring rates... but they are like jello! You can compress them by hand to remove and reinstall them, if you push down on the back of the car you can make it hit the bump stops, and any little bump or dip in the road throws the axle right onto the bump stops, which are poly now and make the entire car shake! The only upside is it doesnt feel like a civic with hacked coils on the freeway now... but it sucks around town ESPECIALLY when I have passangers! Both of my rear tires are getting chewed up from the fenders even though I rolled them etc etc... And even my headlights have to be turned down because the rear is lower than the front and the headlights aim up too high! The front is perfect though...

Ive recieved a couple free sets, but im tired of having to swap them out and deal with the BS of waiting and paying for a set until I get refunded from the old ones... As of right now the rear tires tuck inside the fender at normal ride height and the shoulders of my $230 BFG drag radials are being eaten away on a daily basis by the fender The other option is go back to the hacked civic coil ride and just ride on the bump stops... the rear end gets lower and lower as the days progress

Does anyone use any coil not made by Eibach on a higher power car without problems?
Old 05-10-2004, 03:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you called Eibach? Something doesn't sound right. The right side of the car is usually lower than the left, so I don't think that's the issue but the sagging over time may be expected from their view and perhaps you just need a different spring.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DaddySS
Have you called Eibach? Something doesn't sound right. The right side of the car is usually lower than the left, so I don't think that's the issue but the sagging over time may be expected from their view and perhaps you just need a different spring.
Tried... they attempted to cross reference for a spring with a higher spring rate... no luck, then I tried the drag launch springs and they were stock height so I had a 4 inch gap As it sits now my car sits about 1 inch lower than the sportline springs sit, and I have a pro kit! Eibach really cant seem to do anything about it. I personally think it is from the power transfer to the right rear... I never had any problems before I got the cam and it was a weaker powerband
Old 05-10-2004, 03:59 AM
TECH Addict

Just an FYI, I got the round rubber spring spacers from Summit because I needed to add 1/2 in the rear and they work great. I know we are not fans of stuff like this but I wasn't going to start trying springs or replace the whole set up with adjustables. For a couple of bucks I got the extra height and the ride is fine. They are large round donut shaped and slide in between the coils or you can put them at the base of the spring.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DaddySS
Just an FYI, I got the round rubber spring spacers from Summit because I needed to add 1/2 in the rear and they work great. I know we are not fans of stuff like this but I wasn't going to start trying springs or replace the whole set up with adjustables. For a couple of bucks I got the extra height and the ride is fine. They are large round donut shaped and slide in between the coils or you can put them at the base of the spring.
Can you please give me the part number for the round rubber spacers from Summit? I had sagging peoblems with the pro kit, so I literally put a different brand of springs in the rear(its still just a tad to high). Also, did you use the Summit rubber spacers in place of the stock isolators, or are you using both? Please let me know, this seems to be the solution for the problem I could not fix!!! Thanks..
Old 05-10-2004, 12:57 PM
TECH Resident

same here if you wouldnt mind posting info on the spacers... but my springs are shot so they do need to be replaced! Hopefully the rings might keep me off the bumpstops for aw hile though
Old 05-10-2004, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

mod..move this to handling braking please
Old 05-10-2004, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

Default Who is having problems with Eibach springs sagging in the rear ?

I am on my 3rd set of rear Eibach Pro Kit coils on a 01 SS... as far as weight I removed the spare tire and jack, but in its place is a 15 lb bottle, and on the other sub a 4 lb custom fiberglass box with 1 12 in it... nothing too big at all and barely more than stock. Tires are 275/35/18s which maintain the OE rolling diameter... as far as the car, mods are in sig... new KYB 8 way AGX shocks, full suspension, and car makes about 420ish on motor and I have a 175 shot on top of it that I use MAYBE once a month at most...

Heres the story... Springs went on origionally around 30K miles when the car was bolt ons only... was fine. Then I swapped a LS6 in there around 38K miles.. still ok, then got a Spec stge 3 clutch, added a G5X2, gears etc... So anyways, as soon as I got the more power I noticed the right rear started to sag a couple weeks later... about .75 inches lower than the driver side... The nitrous kit is about the same weight, or less than the spare, so that shouldnt matter at all... but it got worse and worse to the point where the tire was literally tucking under the fender! So I got the coils warrantied from where I purchased them... lifetime warranty and all so didnt bother me. They were even again and fine for about 6 weeks or so... then again right side started to sag! again new coils... same thing though 6 weeks or so and its down a half inch once again! Now I just decided to swap the driver and passanger coils (Which might I add at this time I can just jack the rear end of the car up and literally push the coil bench press style out without using a spring compressor so swapping them takes 1 minute tops! Never did that when they were new!) Now they are even again to the point where you cant really notice by looking at them... its lower than it used to be with about .75 inches between the fender and the tire, where as the majority of pro kit camaros have 1.5-2 inchs (my 98 had much more). At this time I also converted to Drag Radials and upgraded to the G5X3, which really made the car squat hard when I shifted or launched...

Anyways I left them like that for about another couple months figuring nothing would come of this and im just stuck that way, and I noticed the ride getting really bad... Although I have my KYBs turned up pretty high so I just figured the shocks were responsable for the harshness and loud THUDs when hitting larger bumps... One day though I just got fed up with the worthless ride the car offers and decided to cut the bump stops a bit... I look under the car and get this... The passanger side bump stop is just resting on the axle at ride height... the driver side has about .5 inches of clearance. If you put a lil weight on the spoiler the driver side will rest on it too! So I basically had NO suspension travel whatsoever which was causing the worthless ride! Well, I knew cutting the bump stop an inch wouldnt help anything, so I removed them completly and fabricated a set of 1/2 inch thick polyurethane bump stops that gave about 2 inches of clearance on each side! I drove it around and the ride was MUCH better... HOWEVER... now even the smallest bump will force the rear end right into the bump stops... it feels like the car has no springs in it at all! Im guessing all the power from the way the car squats on the DRs from how I shift just killed the spring rates... but they are like jello! You can compress them by hand to remove and reinstall them, if you push down on the back of the car you can make it hit the bump stops, and any little bump or dip in the road throws the axle right onto the bump stops, which are poly now and make the entire car shake! The only upside is it doesnt feel like a civic with hacked coils on the freeway now... but it sucks around town ESPECIALLY when I have passangers! Both of my rear tires are getting chewed up from the fenders even though I rolled them etc etc... And even my headlights have to be turned down because the rear is lower than the front and the headlights aim up too high! The front is perfect though...

Ive recieved a couple free sets, but im tired of having to swap them out and deal with the BS of waiting and paying for a set until I get refunded from the old ones... As of right now the rear tires tuck inside the fender at normal ride height and the shoulders of my $230 BFG drag radials are being eaten away on a daily basis by the fender The other option is go back to the hacked civic coil ride and just ride on the bump stops... the rear end gets lower and lower as the days progress

Does anyone use any coil not made by Eibach on a higher power car without problems?
Old 05-10-2004, 01:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

My Eibach Sporlines sagged after 6 months 5000 miles, around .5" all the way around.

Brian
Old 05-10-2004, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

I also had this problem, 3 sets of rear prokits were replaced, and one side would always be different than the other, not always the same side too. I called ground control systems. They hooked me up with a ride height kit w/175lb. lowering springs. They have been great, no sagging, and adjusting them is easy, and I can go from 2 inch drop up to stock.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by OC BLACKZ28
I also had this problem, 3 sets of rear prokits were replaced, and one side would always be different than the other, not always the same side too. I called ground control systems. They hooked me up with a ride height kit w/175lb. lowering springs. They have been great, no sagging, and adjusting them is easy, and I can go from 2 inch drop up to stock.
How much were they? also you have a link to the website? I dont mind having the springs low, but its driving me nuts how they just slam into the bump stops like they are made of jello!
Old 05-11-2004, 05:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

My ProKit sagged after about 2 years. I took them off and put the stockers w/o isolator pads.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Common problem ...
Old 05-11-2004, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SSOnYourSix
How much were they? also you have a link to the website? I dont mind having the springs low, but its driving me nuts how they just slam into the bump stops like they are made of jello!
I bought mine for $210 plus shipping. The ride height kits are sold seperate from the spring, but that was the total. I love these 175lb. springs.
http://www.ground-control.com/?D=72f...7607aca9045a31
Old 05-11-2004, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Couldn't find them on summit but here they are from jegs.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...16&prmenbr=361

I used the donut shape, cut it in half along the sides with a utility knige then wound it into the tighter coils at the top. Coat them with silicone first and they slide right in. Works great.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:54 PM
Teching In

I have the same symptoms but did not check the bump stumps, feel like i got bad springs in the rear...i'm planning to get rid of the AGX and see if that improves.

98Z eibach pro/agx

Quick Reply: Who is having problems with Eibach springs sagging in the rear?