Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tighter Steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tighter Steering

ok so im in the middle of a 96 formula restoration. i have replaced a ton of things on the car and its making great progress. i cant help but feel like im driving a cadillac or a big truck with the loose steering tho. Any ideas or solutions to tighter steering?? Im a newbie so dont flame me to bad
Old 01-09-2014, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

tie rod ends, inner tie rods, steering rack, control arm bushings and probably the number 1 thing to check is the RAG JOINT.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

I just swapped my steering wheel for a smaller Momo one made a nice difference, feels like a go cart now. Yes, you will loose your airbag so that's something to think about.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:48 PM
Teching In

ok i changed the tie end rods inner and outer. ill try the other stuff thanks guess
Old 01-09-2014, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bravestar
ok i changed the tie end rods inner and outer. ill try the other stuff thanks guess
I would check the rag joint next then, especially if the car has headers. It seems to be a very common cause of slop in the steering wheel for these cars.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
I would check the rag joint next then, especially if the car has headers. It seems to be a very common cause of slop in the steering wheel for these cars.
Just swap to a duel joint LS1 style, much better. Make sure both bolts are tight on the ends of the stee8ring shaft, this was my problem. The best thing to get better handling is 4.5* or higher positive caster, and put some negative camber in that alignment. I like between -0.5* to -1* camber, gives a nice feel on the road without being darty, and promotes good tire wear.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smaller steering wheel + alignment specs as stated above. I run -1 camber, +4 caster.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Hey guys thanks a lot. I tried looking up the rag joint all I can find are u joint... Are they the same thing?
Old 01-10-2014, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bravestar
Hey guys thanks a lot. I tried looking up the rag joint all I can find are u joint... Are they the same thing?
NO, the rag joint is a composite disc that joins 2 sections of the shaft that connects the steering rack to the steering wheel, to my knowledge (and I hope this is OK to post, as I don't know of a sponsor here who sells one) this is the only one available http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/Camaro/Rag_Joint/

what you need to do is remove the plastic cover and see if there is play in the joint by having someone else move the wheel back and forth.

here is video that goes over replacing it.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Thanks bro!

Quick Reply: Tighter Steering