Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Advice on best handling suspension.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on best handling suspension.

Got a 2002 camaro had it for about two years and this year I wanted to set it up to take the corners better. It has Strano springs now bmr rear lca, pan hard bar and stock sways and the front is pa racing K member lower a arms upper arms as well. My budget is around $1000. I just order cts v calipers and z06 rotors to help it brake a little better. I put in a few picks of my car as you can see it sits very high in the front cause I have removed a lot of stuff like ac,ac condenser and evaporator a lot of metal was cut out ect. Any advice would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Advice on best handling suspension.-image.jpg  
Old 01-09-2014, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Couldn't figure out how to post two pics at the same time sorry
Attached Thumbnails Advice on best handling suspension.-image.jpg  
Old 01-09-2014, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

shocks? if your on a budget then i would consider koni srt.t shocks for front and rear and a set of strano sway bars. that should fit your budget.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:22 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I would definitely recommend looking at shocks and sway bars as your next mods because changing those out will really improve the handling of the car. As far as shocks go the I would recommend the Koni shocks but they are going to eat up pretty much all your budget. If you are looking for something a little more budget friendly the Bilstein shocks aren't a bad option they just won't perform as well as the Koni shocks. If you go with the Bilstein shocks you will have enough of your budget left over to pick up a set of aftermarket front and rear sway bars and still have a little left over. We sell all these parts so if there are any questions we can answer for you or if you would like to purchase them let us know.

Koni F4/F3 adjustable shocks (KON-F4-F3)
http://bmrsuspension.com/index.cfm?p...&productid=849

Bilstein front shocks (BSN-24-024068)
http://bmrsuspension.com/index.cfm?p...productid=1011

Bilstein rear shocks (BSN-24-024075)
http://bmrsuspension.com/index.cfm?p...productid=1012

BMR front and rear sway bar kit (SB026)
http://bmrsuspension.com/index.cfm?p...productid=1210

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 01-10-2014, 02:08 PM
Teching In

I can go a little over my budget and get the konis but I want to lower the front of my car more as well. I was thinking of cutting a coil out and cutting down the bump stop. What do you guys think?
Old 01-10-2014, 02:31 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

With the Konis you can set the front lower with the perch adjustment. Don't cut coils.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by callen11
I can go a little over my budget and get the konis but I want to lower the front of my car more as well. I was thinking of cutting a coil out and cutting down the bump stop. What do you guys think?
Dont cut springs (especially lowering springs) to slam the car, and certainly don't cut the front bumpstops, say good bye to the lifetime warranty that you will need when the shock blows out from inadequate suspension travel.
1.2" lowering springs like Stranos are PLENTY low for looks, and are as functionally low as you want to go for handling.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
With the Konis you can set the front lower with the perch adjustment. Don't cut coils.
Oh ok didn't know they had an adjustable perch on them
Old 01-10-2014, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get the konis and set it on the lower perch, that should help bring the front down. Its not recommended to have lowering springs and konis on the lower perch at the same time, but since you removed a lot of weight out the front then it should be fine.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

yes the Koni single adjustables have the perch for the front. the double adjustables and non adjustable SRT.T shocks do not have that perch. just to clarify things.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Now what about chassis stiffening I was thinking of putting in some kind of sub frame connector weld in ones a strut tower brace and 6 pt cage I figured that would be about another $600 are they beneficial or would I not even tell a difference.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

sub frame connectors are subject to debate.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Killer_Z
sub frame connectors are subject to debate.
What do mean by this?
Old 01-10-2014, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

some people swear by them others say its worthless, especially if youve done koni's springs and swaybars. when people have done the everything, they would remove the sub frame connectors and notice no difference besides ride comfort increased a bit. but as far as chasis stiffness there was no side effect.

it can show improvement if your on stock suspension.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by callen11
What do mean by this?
Lets put it this way, just about any suspension mod will make a WAY bigger difference in handling than SFC's. If you want SFC's, spend money on the important things first like shocks, springs, swaybars and a wattslink, then consider SFC's.
These chassis don't flex anywhere near as much as some people like to make it out to be. The biggest issue is shocks, fix that and you will have a pretty damn good handling car.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Lets put it this way, just about any suspension mod will make a WAY bigger difference in handling than SFC's. If you want SFC's, spend money on the important things first like shocks, springs, swaybars and a wattslink, then consider SFC's.
These chassis don't flex anywhere near as much as some people like to make it out to be. The biggest issue is shocks, fix that and you will have a pretty damn good handling car.
Ok getting siked!! Can't wait to start stock piling parts to put on. Excuse my ignorance but what's a watts link?
Old 01-10-2014, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

fays2.net has all the info u need. honestly if your interested and have time. call Sam Strano at Stranoparts.com, he's extremely knowledgable and is always whilling to help you out and get you what you need and not what you dont need.

Quick Reply: Advice on best handling suspension.