Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brakes, Rotors, and Shocks on a Budget

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 12:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes, Rotors, and Shocks on a Budget

Hey guys,

I am in need of new brakes, rotors, and shocks for my 99 Z. The car is completely stock right now. I want something that is just as good if not better than the current stock ones. I am also on a budget and really don't want to spend a bunch. I also daily drive this car 50+ miles a day. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Brendan
Old 01-10-2014, 01:04 AM
TECH Addict

I did stock blank wearever rotors from advance (using promo codes for the best price) and wagner thermo-quiet pads from rockauto that where wholesale closeouts. that comes to about 175 give or take, also be sure and get a big bottle of brake fluid, odds are it's never been flushed (unless you've done that) so it definitely needs it, attached is a pic of the fluid I flushed out of my brakes.

As for shocks Bilstein or Koni STR.T's are the bottom end you should consider, there are cheaper options but there not very good, these run 365 to 400 range for these and unless you have the tools will require taking the front shocks to a mechanic and possibly new shock mounts depending on the condition of yours.
Attached Thumbnails Brakes, Rotors, and Shocks on a Budget-img_20130930_154225_813.jpg  
Old 01-10-2014, 01:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
I did stock blank wearever rotors from advance (using promo codes for the best price) and wagner thermo-quiet pads from rockauto that where wholesale closeouts. that comes to about 175 give or take, also be sure and get a big bottle of brake fluid, odds are it's never been flushed (unless you've done that) so it definitely needs it, attached is a pic of the fluid I flushed out of my brakes.

As for shocks Bilstein or Koni STR.T's are the bottom end you should consider, there are cheaper options but there not very good, these run 365 to 400 range for these and unless you have the tools will require taking the front shocks to a mechanic and possibly new shock mounts depending on the condition of yours.
That is around what I expected for my brakes and rotors and I figured it would be best to just go with stock replacements for those.

As for the shocks... that is much higher than what I expected.. is that pretty much what they will all be?

thanks
Old 01-10-2014, 01:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Brendan11
That is around what I expected for my brakes and rotors and I figured it would be best to just go with stock replacements for those.

As for the shocks... that is much higher than what I expected.. is that pretty much what they will all be?

thanks
there are cheaper options for the shocks but you will wish you had something better in the long run, there are also much more expensive options for shocks.

the price between the KYB and Tokicos aren't that much less for the quality difference vs. the Koni STR.T's and Bilstein's so it's best to keep with the Koni or Bilstein. The much cheaper options are Monroe's and if you get them you will be replacing them in a year because they suck so bad.

Something else worth mentioning is there is a good chance your factory springs are sagging (I know mine are), so look and see if it looks like there sagging.

Last edited by Daniel Richards; 01-10-2014 at 01:48 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a brakemotive kit, they are awesome and have lots of positive reviews.

As for shocks, I went with KYB's and I wish I had Bilsteins. The KYB's are not bad but for a little more you can get a better shock. You dont do shocks very often so better do them right.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nascarnate326

As for shocks, I went with KYB's and I wish I had Bilsteins. The KYB's are not bad but for a little more you can get a better shock. You dont do shocks very often so better do them right.
Truth! Do it once, do it right. Money typically get's your reliability & performance.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:35 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
I agree, no complaints on mine.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:08 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I'd goto Strano and grab the Best Brakes rotors and Hawk HPS pads... a bit more than the Brakemotive stuff ($330). The Best Brakes are the brand that NAPA uses for their blank premium rotors. Pretty nice stuff.

I'd then look at the SLP Revalved Bilsteins. I think they're about $375. They are a valved a little more aggressively than the Bilstein HDs, and Bilsteins tend to last a while. Koni has the STR.T as well, which is about the same price. Between the two, I'd probably do the SLP Bilsteins.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:47 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pure budget setup? Brakemotive brakes with SLP Bilsteins.

I'm partial, though -- that's what I run
Old 01-10-2014, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

Well... looks like this is going to be more expensive than i thought lol so I will be putting it off a little while longer to save up more money.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

Well... looks like this is going to be more expensive than i thought lol so I will be putting it off a little while longer to save up more money.
brakes now.

Taxes= New shocks.

atleast thats what taxes will go to for me, I did the brakes months ago.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

I purchased the Brakemotive kit front and back and ive had fronts crack on two sets. Garage queen thats never seen rain and without many miles on them. If you get the brakemotives get the slotted and not drilled and they could last longer. Both sets of my drilled and slotted have cracked on the front but backs look fine.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

I like my R1Concepts setup. cant complain!!
Old 01-10-2014, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

stranoparts.com for bilsteins, also carries rotors and pads. r1concepts.com sells rotors pads and lines.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Scratch that.. Now I can't decide between Bilstein HDs or SLPs OR Koni SRT.T... I was looking on the WS6 store and the Konis are a lot cheaper...

As for brakes/rotors.... i really dont know what to look for...lol I'm used to just going to autozone and buying whatever that have for my truck. For my car I want to do it right.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Scratch that.. Now I can't decide between Bilstein HDs or SLPs OR Koni SRT.T... I was looking on the WS6 store and the Konis are a lot cheaper...

As for brakes/rotors.... i really dont know what to look for...lol I'm used to just going to autozone and buying whatever that have for my truck. For my car I want to do it right.
Konis cheaper? Noooo. Good luck finding any STR.Ts for the next few months.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

i'd hold off until koni srt.t are in stock. I believe Strano has said that theres no difference between slp belsteins and regular belsteins now. before there was.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

Your right they aren't cheaper I was looking at the wrong thing. I think I am just going to go with brakes and rotors now, an do Bilstein HDS when i can
Old 01-15-2014, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Bilstein and Koni are both upgrades from factory Z. Factory decarbon will be cheapest and handling will reflect that. Not saying spend all your money on shocks but definitely research before opening your wallet.

Koni makes a few different versions too. Wonder if they improved their KYB AGX self-adjusting gas shocks...
Old 01-15-2014, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

Ok. I plan on ordering my brake kit tonight from brakemotive and was wondering if I should go with drilled and slotted, slotted, or whatever else lol

Thanks for all the help

Quick Reply: Brakes, Rotors, and Shocks on a Budget