Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What is this and how do I fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default What is this and how do I fix it?

Replaced the front passenger hub today and it solved the ABS problem I've been dealing with since the last track day.

While I was under there, I noticed that the rubber piece surrounding the piece near the bottom of the picture was torn up pretty bad. I'm a noob at getting my hands dirty on this stuff and simply don't know what this is (or how to fix it). Was searching for info on it and couldn't find any good info.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That's your outer tie rod end. Not expensive. Can be a pain tho. Might need a torch. Car would need an alignment after replacing it.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by autogeek23
That's your outer tie rod end. Not expensive. Can be a pain tho. Might need a torch. Car would need an alignment after replacing it.
Thanks for the news....ouch! Just got comfortable enough to replace a hub, but I'm still a long ways away from doing anything that involves a torch. :-)

At least now that I know what it's called I can start searching to learn about fixing it.

Thanks again.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:01 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I've never used a torch to replace a tie rod end. Simple with the correct tools and procedure. You'll need some sockets, open end wrenches and a pickle fork. Take some white out or some kind of very visible market and mark where the tie rod end is positioned in the threaded portion of the inner tie rod. Break the jam nut loose by holding the inner tie rod with one wrench and the other on the jam nut. Take the cotter pin out of the castle nut on the spindle, then remove the castle but with a socket wrench. Use your pickle fork to then break the bond of the wedged in cone of the rod end free from the spindle. (Do not hammer on the threaded portion of the tie rod end, it can mushroom out and not fit through the spindle once loose if this is done) once it's off, remove the tie rod end from the threaded part of the inner tie rod, and reinstall in reverse order. Torque to spec, position tie rod end and jam nut into close proximity of your mark made earlier. Tighten. Repeat on other side. Drive it to the alignment shop. Done.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

10 min of you time 2 wrenches 18 & 21 mm I believe a hammer and some pliers to pull the cotter pin.... Way easier that the hub .....
While your at it change both sides so you only have to get it aligned once"...."...
What with the lift kit under the strut ??
Old 01-19-2014, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by im-not-guilty
What with the lift kit under the strut ??
right? ive never seen that spacer under any fbody ive worked on or owned.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by im-not-guilty
10 min of you time 2 wrenches 18 & 21 mm I believe a hammer and some pliers to pull the cotter pin.... Way easier that the hub .....
While your at it change both sides so you only have to get it aligned once"...."...

What's with the lift kit under the strut ??
I was thinking the same thing.....

OP, if the car doesn't have too many miles on it, and the tie rod end is still fairly "tight", simply go the Energy Suspension website and get the part number for a replacement boot.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jsteele90
right? ive never seen that spacer under any fbody ive worked on or owned.
Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot.

The spacer was added to give me a half inch raise after going over to Strano springs. Love the springs, but I couldn't get in and out of the driveway at home or at work without getting some of the clearance back after the drop.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I was thinking the same thing.....

OP, if the car doesn't have too many miles on it, and the tie rod end is still fairly "tight", simply go the Energy Suspension website and get the part number for a replacement boot.
The tie rod end is still pretty tight, however the car has 64,000 on it and I usually do a few track days a year, so I guess it couldn't hut to change them out.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had my boot tear on my old 98, the end was still tight so I just got a $5 boot from Autozone's help section and stuck it on there. Avoided having to get a realignment and replace a joint that was still in good shape.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't take this the wrong way, it's meant as a safety concern and I understand everyone has to learn things at some point, but if you can't look at a part like that and know what it's called and have to ask that here then you probably shouldn't be Racing your car till your more familiar with all the parts on it.

also if your gonna do the tie rod ends you should check the condition of the upper and lower ball joints and replace if needed before you go thru the trouble of getting an alignment done.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
Don't take this the wrong way, it's meant as a safety concern and I understand everyone has to learn things at some point, but if you can't look at a part like that and know what it's called and have to ask that here then you probably shouldn't be Racing your car till your more familiar with all the parts on it.

also if your gonna do the tie rod ends you should check the condition of the upper and lower ball joints and replace if needed before you go thru the trouble of getting an alignment done.
Thanks for the feedback. Just to clarify, I don't race my car. I drive my car on tracks with the goal of becoming a better DRIVER. At this point, the driver (me) is easily the limitation of what the car can do.

In this process of trying to become a better driver, I understand the importance of having a good working knowledge of everything that makes the car function. I'm working on that too -- that's why this thread exists. I'm sorry I didn't know what an outer tie rod was three days ago, now I do. Thanks in great part to you and all the others that were kind enough to post.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards

Really? Do you think Danica Patrick knows what an outer tie rod is? There's a lot of ppl I'm sure that can race cars like hell but can't work on them. Hence y hey are in the drivers seat not in the garage

Quick Reply: What is this and how do I fix it?