Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best suspension combos for..

Old 01-20-2014, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best suspension combos for..

Ok guys so these are my goals for the suspension part of the car but before I tell you my goals I Went on a road trip last night from the east coast to the west coast of florida (Port St Lucie Florida to Bayshore gardens florida. 153 miles and managed to get there in 1 hour and 57 minutes) in the middle of the night 2am. The trip consist of back hilly roads, surprising turns, but overall just a straight shot across. Needed to get from point A to point B as fast as possible, so I definitely wasn’t driving the speed limit. Not going to lie I wanted to test the limits on the Z28 and the car did impressive in stability at higher speeds & the corners, but thought she could do a little better. Especially on the bumpier parts and hilly stretches of the backroads.

What would be a good set-up with near stock ride quality, great cornering at higher speeds, stable over unstable roads, and not so springy like stock suspension over steep hills?

Koni & strano or a good set of coil-overs with some adjustable LCA, A Arms, adjustable rears?
Old 01-20-2014, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Koni on car adjustable front and rear shocks. Strano springs and sway bars. UMI panhard bar and LCA with relocation bracket.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Euphoria
Ok guys so these are my goals for the suspension part of the car but before I tell you my goals I Went on a road trip last night from the east coast to the west coast of florida (Port St Lucie Florida to Bayshore gardens florida. 153 miles and managed to get there in 1 hour and 57 minutes) in the middle of the night 2am. The trip consist of back hilly roads, surprising turns, but overall just a straight shot across. Needed to get from point A to point B as fast as possible, so I definitely wasn’t driving the speed limit. Not going to lie I wanted to test the limits on the Z28 and the car did impressive in stability at higher speeds & the corners, but thought she could do a little better. Especially on the bumpier parts and hilly stretches of the backroads.

What would be a good set-up with near stock ride quality, great cornering at higher speeds, stable over unstable roads, and not so springy like stock suspension over steep hills?

Koni & strano or a good set of coil-overs with some adjustable LCA, A Arms, adjustable rears?
The only off the shelf handling coilovers are KWs,Penskies or race bilstiens. If you are thinking of QA1, strange, afco or viking, those are all non-gas charged drag shocks and would be on the opposite side of the spectrum.
Also control arms, a-arms etc. are totally unnecessary.
The only thing you really "need" are the Koni SA's. Retain stock height with stock springs for best ride (firm, but not jarring, very BMW-like), yet get unreal handling, balance, feel and grip with just the Koni SA's on otherwise stock suspension. If you want more out of the car then look into strano springs, strano swaybars, fays2 wattslink, etc. Stick with rubber bushings or rod end/roto joint bushings (no poly), and get a good alignment as well.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:15 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Our springs with a set of Koni's would be ideal for what you are wanting to do. Also add in a set of our sway bars and that car will be smooth and stick in the corners. Give us a call and we can quote you out a package deal
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-21-2014, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

koni/strano's
Old 01-21-2014, 06:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

I could take the easy road and say "do this and this and that". But, in taking the time to read what you are looking for, I'm not sure lowering springs are necessary for your goals. I'm with JD_AMG (he's a good customer of mine who listens and understands how I work and how things work).

I've been using and selling Koni's for years, longer than most have know of them. I used them to develop my springs. And once I did those I did the bars to integrate. I also drive my stuff where I live which is Western PA. Roads complete with potholes, and frost heaves and far worse condition than any road I've seen in Florida.

All that said, I'm not sure you want or need lowering springs. You definitely want better shocks, and Koni's rock. Side benefit is while I have pretty good Koni pricing I'm also not in the same state so I don't have to charge you sales tax either. I'd probably start with the Koni's and a set of swaybars, unless you have a specific need or want to lower the car. I say this because you imply the roads are less than smooth and while one of the specific things I did with my springs was to keep the rear rates in check to work on less than ideal pavement, they are still stiffer than stock and lessen the wheel travel. So if the roads are not great, you want to think that through a little bit. See also that Nissan *softened* the springs on their GT-R for the track packaged based on Nurburgring testing (they also upped the shocks to better stuff from Ohlins). I'm leaning the same way here, but we'd need to talk about by phone to be sure.

I have lots of springs in stock, same rates and everything I've used from the start, and that have won SCCA National Championships, etc. If they are applicable to your situation I'd not hesitate to say so, but I'm not sure it's a move we want to make for certain without talking to you.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best suspension combos for..