Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Is this a symptom of shocks being too long or stiff?

Old 02-05-2014, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Is this a symptom of shocks being too long or stiff?

Hello,

I'm at a bit of a loss so I thought maybe you guys could lend an ear to a problem I'm sure would make more sense to people more knowledgeable than myself...

I have a 1978 Caprice Aerocoupe which will get an LS, but in the meantime.... My 4 coil springs were shot so I replaced them with the closest replacement they make to the 1996 or so Impala SS springs. Now it rides terrible and seems to hit very hard when going over bumps and sometimes bounces very stiff.

Are these characteristics of the shocks being too long? I didn't change them and the new springs are lower than the old. I'm curious if that is the issue or if perhaps the spring rates or types of springs I ordered are incorrect. I had the front end rebuilt and kept the same shocks since they were newer. They were very stiff shocks to begin with and the new springs have lowered the car.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a little confused here...You say "aerocoupe". The only car, at least in recent times, that Chevy referred to as an "aerocoupe" was the Monte Carlo SS, with the big glass rear window. By chance, are you saying that your Caprice is a 2 door coupe, or do you have a Monte Carlo SS aerocoupe?

In any case, which springs did you install? The springs for an Impala SS would be made to lower the car somewhat, over the ride height of a regular Caprice of that era, as well as be rated for a slightly heavier car, as the "B" body cars gained weight over the years. If you're mistaken regarding what car you have, and it's actually a Monte Carlo, by all means, Caprice springs would be too stiff for the much lighter Monte.

FWIW, back in the 90s, my wife's DD was a '93 Caprice LTZ. I installed a set of Eibach springs, for the Impala SS in it, and used Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks. The car rode and handled pretty well, for a large, 4000 pound car.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

It's a '78 Caprice Aerocoupe. They were made from 77-79 and have a back window similar in shape to the Monte Carlos, but the physical dimensions are different.

The underpinnings for the Caprice/Impalas were the same all the way from 1977-1996, so all suspension components are interchangable. I wanted to lower the car a small amount to get a better stance and I also needed new springs, so since they don't make a replacement spring for the 94-96 impala SS I ordered springs with specs that were as close as possible to the ones that were available.

My question is has anyone had experience with shocks that are too long or too stiff? These were very stiff shocks when I put them on with my old, longer springs, and now that I have lower springs the ride has terrible characteristics, such as hard over bumps and sometimes very quick and harse bouncing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is this a symptom of shocks being too long or stiff?