Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need opinions on budget shock/spring set up

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 12:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need opinions on budget shock/spring set up

I have a 99 SS with stock decarbons and the pro kit. I paid $100 for the springs so they were a good deal to me. I obviously need new shocks and struts but I can't afford konis.

The car is not raced period, it is a Sunday driver that I want to look good and ride better. I know the pro kit is soft, I feel it on every big bump, but I can't help to think it is BC of the decarbons. Can this be remedied with better shocks?

Out of the cheaper shocks on Strano`s site, what is recommended? Bilstien, koni str.t, tokico, kyb? I'm looking to stay around $400-ish
Old 02-21-2014, 01:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd go with either the Bilsteins or Koni STR.T.
BTW, you can also get the Bilsteins for about $368 shipped.
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...age-set-of-4-/
Old 02-21-2014, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I read somewhere that the STR.T were made more for stock application, and not lowered. Anybody on here run the STR.T with a lowered car?
Old 02-21-2014, 09:10 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The STr.t's will be a perfect choice for your application. Not sure where you heard that about them not being designed to work with lowered vehicles, because that it completely false. Bilsteins are not a bad choice for the money either and may be more readily available. The Str.t's are out of stock most everywhere. They are selling faster than Koni can make them it appears.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-21-2014, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the Eibach Sportline kit, which is pretty low 2.5" or more. My Decarbon shocks seem to bottom out...especially in the front! Which shocks would u recommend for mine? Are these shocks shortend for lowered applications?
Old 02-21-2014, 12:01 PM
Teching In

There are SO many threads on this site about this question. That's how I made my decision...just searched for days looking to see what people were saying about them....ended up going with bilstein and bmrs. It's all about preference and application IMO. I dd my car and couldn't spend a thousand dollars, therefore I went with Bilstein.
BUT...if i COULD spend a grand or more, I'd call sam strano in a heartbeat! This man knows our cars suspension like no other! Just read up on what he has to say about bilstiens, and konis...
and btw the koni orange (str.t's) are on backorder.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FAD2BLK93
I have the Eibach Sportline kit, which is pretty low 2.5" or more. My Decarbon shocks seem to bottom out...especially in the front! Which shocks would u recommend for mine? Are these shocks shortend for lowered applications?
Regardless of which shocks you go with you'll basically still be right on the bumpstops with the Sportline springs, which most will agree lower too much! IMO, the Eibach lowering springs seem to always lower a noticeable amount more than the advertised drop.
IMO, any of the following lowering springs(1" -1.3" drop) would be a better choice: Strano's, BMR, H&R, Vogtland, Hotchkis .

Anyway, yes better shocks will still help some with the Sportline springs, but they won't eliminate you issue because of the very limited shock compression travel you'll still have with the extreme lowering.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ndb270
There are SO many threads on this site about this question. That's how I made my decision...just searched for days looking to see what people were saying about them....ended up going with bilstein and bmrs. It's all about preference and application IMO. I dd my car and couldn't spend a thousand dollars, therefore I went with Bilstein.
BUT...if i COULD spend a grand or more, I'd call sam strano in a heartbeat! This man knows our cars suspension like no other! Just read up on what he has to say about bilstiens, and konis...
and btw the koni orange (str.t's) are on backorder.

Ive done the search, but couldn't get the solid answer I am looking for. I have the pro-kit, and want new shocks/struts. I keep getting mixed answers in regards to what to use other than the obvious Strano/Koni set up. I can't afford to go that big, so I am trying to get advice from people with actual experience.

I plan to do business with Strano, and I know he knows his stuff. I'll just PM him. Thanks guys.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KYB and the higher end Monroes may be a good choice for you. They are no where near the level of Koni/Bilstines but for a DD they work fine. I have KYB's with cut stock springs currently and its just fine for a 99% street car.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by KissMyWhiteSS
Ive done the search, but couldn't get the solid answer I am looking for. I have the pro-kit, and want new shocks/struts. I keep getting mixed answers in regards to what to use other than the obvious Strano/Koni set up. I can't afford to go that big, so I am trying to get advice from people with actual experience.

I plan to do business with Strano, and I know he knows his stuff. I'll just PM him. Thanks guys.
Koni's are soon to be "less" than normal. STR.T's are a great alternative here, exactly what you are looking for good control of lowering springs without a huge price tag. The only issue right now, is they aren't around (backorder from Koni NA, and none yet in transit). I have some Bilstein's, usually do have some in stock. I'd skip KYB and Tokico altogether myself.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-24-2014, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Regardless of which shocks you go with you'll basically still be right on the bumpstops with the Sportline springs, which most will agree lower too much!
Anyway, yes better shocks will still help some with the Sportline springs, but they won't eliminate you issue because of the very limited shock compression travel you'll still have with the extreme lowering.
I agree with this. Asking shocks to perform without an adequate range of motion is a tough situation. I'd pick Bilsteins at this point since the konis are on back order.

Quick Reply: Need opinions on budget shock/spring set up