Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

00 TA suspension issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 00 TA suspension issue

hey all. just got done installing eibach springs and my existing 46MM bilstein shocks. so the trans am is dropped 1.2 inches which gives it the right stance that i was looking for but since i live in NJ the roads are less than stellar lol. and when i hit a bump or small pothole it seems to be bottoming out the shock.. they only have 2-3 inches of travel with the car sitting on flat ground.

my question would be what are my options to elevate this issue?. I've only heard it in the rear shocks. so i think the issue is only in the rear. i hope i can just put slightly shorter shocks in the rear of the car but i know nothing about that. do they make a drop bracket for the lower mount for the shock? i have looked online and have not found such a drop bracket.

any info you all can provide wold be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The LS1(98-02) Prokit have really soft spring rates, so that part of the issue. FYI, shorter rear shock will not make any difference, since the axle tube hit the chassis mounted bump stop well before the would bottom out. What you could do is remove the rear bumpstop spacers, if you car has them. Otherwise the one solution is to raise the ride height(stock springs) or go with stiffer lowering springs.
I'd also recommend keeping the tire pressure at 32 front/30 rear.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:12 PM
Teching In

hmm. that's nice to know. i didnt see that in the reviews i read. now that you mention it it did seem a bit bouncy. what would be a more firm spring?.

i was told that the shock was bottoming out by the shop that put the shock/springs on. also they said the only way to fix the problem is to put the factory springs back on.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

The only way you'll bottom out the rear shocks is if you rear bump stops were totally deteriorated. It's possible to be bottoming out the front shocks. If you're only having issues with the rear suspension then you could install a set of Hotchkis rear 1" lowering springs or BMR rear 1.25" lowering springs.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:47 PM
Teching In

i was just looking at the BMR ones on summit racing. and looking more in depth on the forms and reviews..

it is a 2000. anything is possible lol. rubber does dry rot over the years.. will look into it.

but if im going to replace them with new i will do all 4 by the same manufacturer. just dont want to mix and match anything.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, if you're going to change all of them then look at Strano's, Bmr, Hotchkis lowering springs.
Here's a photo of the spacer installed between the BS and the body mount location.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ation/OEM1.jpg
Old 02-24-2014, 08:46 AM
Teching In

Yea thats the bump stop that the Axel tube hits so bit doesn't slam into the body if the car.

I dont feel any impact when driving the car when I hear the bang. I will look and see when I get hone and have the car I front of me.

It sucks traveling for work.

Thanks guys. Just asked my shop for a quote to install the BMR springs in my car. I was goin to guess 300 for the springs (summit racing says 297 last night with a fast search) and I'm guessing like 500 for labor and an alignment. But I'm waiting for them to call me back.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

The bang you're hearing could be the exhaust pipe hitting the PHB support bar that's directly below it on the passenger side. This is usually caused by the passenger side rear exhaust hanger bushing wearing down over the years causing the pipe to hang down closer to the PHB support and hit it when driving on rough roads. Like I said already if you car does have the rear bump stop spacers I'd remove them, that little extra 1/2" compression travel does help.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Hmm. Again I'll have to look at my car when I get home. But it sounds like its on the drivers side. That is a good thought tho. I will deff be jacking up my car and breaking out the creeper and looking into it. Thx

I also need to look into changing my muffler. The guy who owned the car put on the loudmouth 2 system and its just such a drone its almost unbearable in 4,5,6 gear from 1800-2000rpm. I was going to put on a borla like I had on my camaro a few years back. Or corsa which is more money but I've heard they sound/perform alot better. I just dont know the current configuration of the loudmouth muffler and if there is a resonator or not. But that's another convo.

Quick Reply: 00 TA suspension issue