Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

viking performance coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default viking performance coilovers?

I found viking performance coil overs for my car, was wondering if anyone on here knew anything about them?(how well they work/if there worth buying)
or if anyone has them on there camaro
i have a 98 Camaro 3.8L
Old 03-02-2014, 03:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good afternoon.

We've used Viking kits on all of our cars and are one if their too dealers.

The Vikings are good quality stuff and work great.

I'm happy to help you select rates and tune them.

Later

-- Ramey
Old 03-02-2014, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 98silvercam
I found viking performance coil overs for my car, was wondering if anyone on here knew anything about them?(how well they work/if there worth buying)
or if anyone has them on there camaro
i have a 98 Camaro 3.8L
Extremely vague question.
What do you want to do with the car? What do you expect out of it? Ride quality? Handling? Drag racing? Which is priority?
Old 03-02-2014, 07:05 PM

handling is priority for me, and i need my car dropped a few inches
Old 03-02-2014, 07:30 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Viking shocks are quickly becoming a well recognized component in the f-body suspension market.

There are several standout features of the Viking shocks. To name a few there is the 19 position double adjustable valving, valve adjustments are easy to get to, high quality components, USA made(Minneapolis area), and an industry best 2 year warranty.

The front shocks will come ride-height adjustable right from the start, and MWC has a convenient package available for you to do the rear in just standard shocks or a ride-height coil-over conversion. MWC was the first to offer the Viking shocks in a rear coil-over setup so we have a lot of experience helping customers on a full 4-corner coil-over application.

These shocks have a very user-friendly tuning window that allows you to make quick adjustments and really feel the differences in how your car handles from one setting to the other. We are one of the leading Viking dealers in the nation and will be glad to help assist you with the right combination of shocks and spring rate applications available. Don't let others steer you away from these shocks as a "drag racing only type", they are proven to do a wide range of use and can be custom tailored to suit your needs.

MWC has the guaranteed lowest prices and the expert tech help to aid you in both installation and tuning. Give us a call... we are here to help you!
Old 03-02-2014, 08:02 PM

What setup would you suggest for a camaro making about 450 RWHP?
Would it be smarter to run they standard rear height shocks or they adjustable coil conversion?
Car is daily driven, and looking better handling and more aggressive stance
What are the price differences between the adjustable and the standard Kits?
Old 03-02-2014, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

handling is priority for me, and i need my car dropped a few inches
Then you want a gas charged sport shock, not a non-gas charged drag shock like the Vikings. Just because they can be adjusted to be "stiffer" does not mean they will handle well, and the fact that they are not gas charged means the harder they are worked the more dampening you loose.
On the cheaper end of things you get SLP bilstiens, or Koni STRs. Next (huge) step up would be Koni SA's. If you want a handling adjustable coilover setup then look into penskies, race bilstiens or KW's.
Check out stranoparts.com, you can give Sam Strano a call, he had a multiple national SCCA champion winning LS1 Z28 with parts he designed and now sells.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:58 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Would it be smarter to run they standard rear height shocks or they adjustable coil conversion?
All of their shocks are external double adjustable.

The front shocks will come as a "coil-over" as a standard configuration, similar to the oem setup. The "coil-over" shock is ride height adjustable and will alllow you to adjust your stance for the look youm desire.

The rear shocks come standard as just the shock itself, not a "coil-over". The shock itself will need to be paired with the hose mod(removal of factory upper spring isolator and replace with heater hose over the top coil) or a lowering spring to compliment the stance you have set in the front. Aside from that if you step up to the rear "coil-over conversion" then the rear will be setup similar to the front and you can set the rear stance as well.

These shocks will be absolutely fine in a daily driver type car. The owner of Viking is set deep in the pro-touring and street rod scene and has their shocks setup to work very well for that. Add in the two year warranty and killer prices and you have a package that is hard to beat.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello, Great questions.

For better handling and street application I would recommend the 550lb up front and the 150 springs in the rear. Adjustable works two ways, one is height adjustment and the second is damping. The Viking shocks allow you to tune the shock, you can make the shock feel like a Bilstein or an R series shock since it offers the double adjustment.

I posted two links below, the front coil over kits and our new rear coil over kits. Please take a look and let me know if you have any questions.

Front- http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=743

Rear- http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=783

I hope this information helps!
Ryan
Old 03-03-2014, 09:03 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Vikings are great products at very good prices. We have been recommending them a lot lately. They are great looking, smooth operating with a very positive feel on the adjustment *****, and fit an finish are excellent. Their customer service is great as well. I wouldn't hesitate to run them for any application, because the adjustability they offer gives you a wide range to cover most driving styles. You will just need to consider the driving style you plan on for spring rate selection.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 03-03-2014, 01:42 PM

okay. thank you everyone for the information and opinions it was really helpful!
Old 03-03-2014, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

Default How much height adjustment

I am looking into doing a full Coil Over kit instead of a Hotchkis or BMR lowering spring. Can anybody tell me if these Vikings adjust up to stock height and how low if adjusted? I am not looking for a super low stance as I am concerned about bottoming out my car. Does this kit ride soft if adjusted on long trips and can be stiffened for handling?
Old 03-03-2014, 05:55 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by WildDr805
I am looking into doing a full Coil Over kit instead of a Hotchkis or BMR lowering spring. Can anybody tell me if these Vikings adjust up to stock height and how low if adjusted? I am not looking for a super low stance as I am concerned about bottoming out my car. Does this kit ride soft if adjusted on long trips and can be stiffened for handling?
Stock height is no issue with the Viking coil-over package. As far as lowering goes there will be other issues with the suspension like torque arm clearance and things of that nature before the shocks bottom out. There are some companies that offer the Viking rear coil-overs is a setup that will lose some of the rear shock travel. The MWC four-corner coil-over package still has full shock travel.

MWC was the first to offer the Viking shocks in a full car coil-over package and we have a lot of experience with it. Give us a call and we will be happy to go over all the options for your needs, and of course we guarantee the lowest prices.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:10 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by WildDr805
The Viking kits allow installation of a 2-1/2" racing coilover spring onto the 19-way double adjustable shock. We have a front set of 550's on our WS6 along with a few hundred road race and auto-x laps. No fade, feels great and rides nice on the highway. I have no doubt the Koni's are awesome (one of our engineers has a 4th Gen with brand new Koni's on it) but the Vikings feel great as well. Can Sam feel a difference? Probably. Can most of us?...

Our rear kit allows stock height adjustment all the way down past the factory bump stops. It's available with 110 for strip/street, 125 for street/general and 150 for handling applications.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:35 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

So the shocks have a 2-year warranty, what does it look like to rebuild them out of warranty? I imagine it's still cost effective?
Old 03-04-2014, 10:47 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
So the shocks have a 2-year warranty, what does it look like to rebuild them out of warranty? I imagine it's still cost effective?
Viking has done a great job making a quality damper at a good price. We talk with Chris King (Viking Prez) quite often and if I recall correctly they rarely do a rebuild due to lack of shocks needing rebuilt. He's pretty proud of that.

If a rebuild would be needed out of warranty I'd imagine it would be a nominal cost, like $50 ea or something (disclaimer: I didn't check, just my assumption based on market pricing).

We hammered the $%^&*&*( out of our Green Machine this past summer and the shocks feel as good as new. No leaks. Still respond to adjustments. I also have a few hundred drag racers on these and the only time I hear about the shocks is when they call to say they won their class and thanks for the tuning help.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:01 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I believe this would speak for the abuse that a Viking shock can take.

Quick Reply: viking performance coilovers?