Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Drag suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Drag suspension

I am in the middle of a complete overhaul of my 2000 M6 camaro. I am currently running koni shocks, slp springs, moser 9" with LCA relocation brackets(LCA mounted on the lowest setting), UMI full length adj torque arm with UMI relocation crossmember.

Id like to hear what set ups people are running in their 9 second f-bodies. Leaving tires out of the conversation right now, what set ups will keep me from doing a wheel stand and putting it onto the wall because that is like my biggest fear with the new motor. Also at this point im thinking id like to keep the full length arm even though i know that a tunnel mount will lower my 60ft.

All helpful advise is appreciated
Old 03-15-2014, 11:49 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Call Eric @ MWC. Run his Fabbed 9" with his Torque Arm (really light and strong), Chromoly LCAs, Chromoly PHB or just splurge and get his Watts Link, and the Viking DA coilover package. Drag sway might be worth it as well.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Drag sway is definitely needed at this level IMO. Instead of piecing together parts like most do, a comprehensive package that works together is a better approach. Call up some sponsors that specialize in that kind of thing and let them walk you through a system that will all work together. If I could take a wild guess it would consist of: fabbed rear end preferable, all the tubular adjustable stuff (panhard, LCAs, torque arm etc), coil overs, front and rear, and a drag sway.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

well i already have a moser 9" with wavetrac that i like because it drives like factory around town. i guess i should have been more specific about the car. It is actually a street car that i will take to to track every now and then, it will have a fully built 434 ls7 with spray. Want to know what it takes to keep that on the ground. drag sway sounds easy enough. Dont plan on buying ANOTHER 9" rear though
Old 03-16-2014, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

On a fabbed rear it is easier to tailor the suspension because they can weld alternate mounts and stuff like that. If you already have a 9 inch then you will be using stock mount type stuff for the most part. I would think tires and springs/shocks then setup are gonna be the most important items. Of course any weight the car loses will help it hook better, and weight off the nose will help balance the car. Sounds like you're putting together a stout combo. Good luck with it.

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 03-17-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:23 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by maroonls1z
I am in the middle of a complete overhaul of my 2000 M6 camaro. I am currently running koni shocks, slp springs, moser 9" with LCA relocation brackets(LCA mounted on the lowest setting), UMI full length adj torque arm with UMI relocation crossmember.

Id like to hear what set ups people are running in their 9 second f-bodies. Leaving tires out of the conversation right now, what set ups will keep me from doing a wheel stand and putting it onto the wall because that is like my biggest fear with the new motor. Also at this point im thinking id like to keep the full length arm even though i know that a tunnel mount will lower my 60ft.

All helpful advise is appreciated
First and foremost be careful of what you read, you need to trust the experts that do this every day and supply the parts to the best running cars.

Don't be afraid of the short arm, the quickest stock suspension f-body cars are on short arms... from MWC.

You are probably leaving quite a bit on the table with your shocks and springs, and that would be the first place I would go. There is a pretty well known combination of parts that will make your car work well and be consistent. Give us a call and we will be happy to go over the process and get you hooked up and straight.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

Well I know q1a double adj is the shock I should be running
Old 03-17-2014, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Those are very good shocks. That's what I have on my car. You just have to make sure you get the right springs. That will be determined by the weight of your car. You might have to lower your rear control arms on the rear end to get it to really launch good, depending on your ride height.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Oh by the way you will definitely need some type of anti roll bar on the rear end to get it to launch straight.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:21 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by maroonls1z
Well I know q1a double adj is the shock I should be running
QA1 is acceptable, but if you do enough research you will find that there are better shocks for the same or less cost, and come with very high quality.

This is just one area where working with us on your combination will yield you the best performance for the least cost.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely give Eric ^ a call at mwc. Have his suspension on my car now and my last trans am I owned. Hands down the lightest and strongest stuff I ever bought. And his customer service is bar none one of the best in the business
Old 03-18-2014, 09:33 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Definitely support the vendors that keep this forum alive and supply the f-body community with quality parts and service. If you search here you will find plenty of info to help you make your selection.

Quick Reply: Drag suspension