Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Is this wheel hop? concerned...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is this wheel hop? concerned...

Right after the 1-2 shift, when I dump the clutch on max acceleration, it feels like something is jumping up and hitting the floorpan. It doesnt happen all the time, but most of the time. a dsm friend of mine mentioned that it could be a broken tranny mount, but he said he doesnt know much about f-bods. any ideas? I havent actually gotten under there to look yet...thanks
Old 05-13-2004, 09:40 PM
TECH Junkie

In my experience wheel hop feels something like driving over a washboard road surface. It'll cause the rear axle to shake or vibrate up and down when you're trying to get traction and will shake the **** out of the car's interior. This is usually pronounced on launch though, moreso than a shift.
If what you're describing is just one or two thuds/clunks on the floorpan then I would suspect the Y-pipe hitting the floorpan. Do you have an aftermarket Y-pipe? If so, then your clearance may be too tight. If not, then it could very well be due to a tranny mount or motor mount problem.

Just speculation of course...
Old 05-13-2004, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All I have done to the car is a lid, filter, and loudmouth cat back. when this hard thunk occurs, the tires dont really break loose on the 1-2 shift, which they did when the car was new...
Old 05-13-2004, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also, this doesnt happen when I do a burnout in first gear at all...that is totally smooth...only on the 1-2 shift under maximum acceleration...although it feels as though it is coming from directly underneath the front cupholder which is why my DSM friend suggested the tranny mount...would that be a warranty item?
Old 05-13-2004, 10:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Based on your description it really sounds like Y-pipe (or maybe tranny) banging the floorpan to me. I doubt the LM exhaust would be causing the problem, so it does sound like a warranty issue to me. The tranny mount is a cheap and relatively easy thing to replace, so if you're nervous about coverage or have a shitty dealer you might consider checking that yourself first.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Here's a good link if you're so inclined: http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...y_mount_m6.htm
Old 05-17-2004, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

What about the I pipe hitting the Drive shaft I had that problem when i put My Hooker Catback on. Just had to bend the pipe a little.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zero_FactiX
What about the I pipe hitting the Drive shaft I had that problem when i put My Hooker Catback on. Just had to bend the pipe a little.
this is a good possibility, my LM catback keeps loosening up right at the y pipe/resonator connection which runs alongside the driveshaft...could be loose enough to come up and bang the driveshaft under hard acceleration. Ill check the driveshaft for marks I suppose
Old 05-18-2004, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

my LM comes loose there too, but I have a stock Y. Soon to be fixed in July with flps.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by frey51
my LM comes loose there too, but I have a stock Y. Soon to be fixed in July with flps.
yeah isnt it a bitch...makes an annoying *** rattling noise until it heats up to where the metal expands and causes the rattle to stop...makes the car sound like a POS
Old 05-18-2004, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i vote for wheel hop. my friends t/a did it and whatever was in the cup holder shot up. i dont think it coudl be the tranny mount if u can do a burnout adn not hear it. when u get heat in the tires it cleans the **** off lettin them spin smoother. what tires u have? its not lowered at all is it? if it was the tranny mount it would do it all the time. mine had nasty wheel hop all stock
Old 05-18-2004, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
i vote for wheel hop. my friends t/a did it and whatever was in the cup holder shot up. i dont think it coudl be the tranny mount if u can do a burnout adn not hear it. when u get heat in the tires it cleans the **** off lettin them spin smoother. what tires u have? its not lowered at all is it? if it was the tranny mount it would do it all the time. mine had nasty wheel hop all stock
stock eagle F1's, stock suspension...but it never did this last summer and its only from an aggressive 1-2 shift, just to reiterate.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah my friends car did this once his tires got older. its still weird it does it only goin to 2nd like that. might wanna just check out all the suspension. its easy to tell if somethin broke, just grab and shake it if it moves a lot thats the prob lol
Old 05-22-2004, 03:38 AM
On The Tree

sounds like a tranny mount to me... same thing was happening to me on the 1-2 shift until i put in one of those poly mounts
Old 05-22-2004, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheSloth
sounds like a tranny mount to me... same thing was happening to me on the 1-2 shift until i put in one of those poly mounts
whered you get it, how much did it cost etc?
Old 05-22-2004, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

get it from any sponsor doesnt cost much just look for it
Old 05-22-2004, 01:03 PM
TECH Resident

well the torque arm on a burnout would push the trans down on the mount and then when you shift its letting up on it causing it to hit the floor..i would agree its a tranny mt. problem..i know i know you dont wanna get ur clothes dirty but you might have had it figured out by now...
Old 05-22-2004, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by boondiggys
well the torque arm on a burnout would push the trans down on the mount and then when you shift its letting up on it causing it to hit the floor..i would agree its a tranny mt. problem..i know i know you dont wanna get ur clothes dirty but you might have had it figured out by now...
haha, oh I have no problem getting dirty...in fact I enjoy it, but Im livin in my apt right now and dont have any of my tools or jacks or jack stands etc and its kinda hard to get under the car without them thanks for all the advice, what you said really sounds like whats happening...I'll def check it out...
Old 05-23-2004, 02:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

a friend of mines Fbody did that and it was the Traction control doin something funky if i remember correctly
Old 05-23-2004, 07:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JLMoses
a friend of mines Fbody did that and it was the Traction control doin something funky if i remember correctly
nope, I turn that **** off as soon as I start the car every time...