Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

EBC Greenstuff pads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default EBC Greenstuff pads?

anyone heard anything about them/experience? add says they virtually "eliminate" brake dust and this is VERY appealing to me. if they do this and retain at least the stock braking ability I would be happy
Old 05-18-2004, 02:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have had very bad experience with these. When I worked at the shop, we installed probably 30 sets of these on various vehicles. Without exageration, at least 80 percent returned with squeeking issues. This was not minimal noise... they were LOUD. I had them installed on a variety of cars... f-body's, trucks, BMW's (even with an "E" rated pad, they still squeeked), hondas, blah blah blah. New pads, resurfaced rotors, etc. did not solve the problem. A few of the vehicles had EBC slotted rotors and greenstuffs. This combo was garaunteed by our EBC rep not to make any noise. On a vehicle with complete EBC brake setup front and rear, it made more noise than enything else. In all situations, we finally resolved the problem be replaceing them with Raybestos Quiet Stop or factory (in the case of the Euro cars) pads, and all noise went away immediately.

In addition to poor experience with the product, I found there reps to be less than knowledgable/helpfull. When I told them of the issues we were having, they offerred no real help/solutions other than "That's strange, the pads should work fine."

Not trying to bash, jsut speaking from my own first hand experience. I would just to hate you to try these and suffer the aggravation I did.

Good luck with your choice
Jeff
Old 05-18-2004, 07:39 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ran EBC's on my Mustang. I thought they were an improvment over stock, yet they still dusted pretty bad. I went with Hawks on my 01 Z and I just put Hawks on my SS. The Hawks don't dust much at all.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the help guys, dont think Ill be goin with them, but they intrigued me since Id never heard of them before...
Old 05-18-2004, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
I ran EBC's on my Mustang. I thought they were an improvment over stock, yet they still dusted pretty bad. I went with Hawks on my 01 Z and I just put Hawks on my SS. The Hawks don't dust much at all.
where can I get em? Ive heard a lot about Hawks before...
Old 05-19-2004, 01:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Pep Boys sells Hawk pads now.

Jeff
Old 05-19-2004, 12:18 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

I think most of the sponsers sell them. I carry them at my store, so that's where I grab them up at.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

Thunder Racing has Hawk HPS pads.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never used them on an F-bdoy, but put a set on my daily driver NX2000. I drive aggressively, but they dust badly in my case. They seem to be wearing fast and have grooved my rotors. They do not make any noise on my car, and stop very well when cold. They will fade if I get them hot.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:43 PM
11 Second Club

does the hawk pads dust much
Old 05-19-2004, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For street, I see no reason not to use the OEM pads. They do everything well, as long as you don't overheat them. If you regurarly overheat them on the street, you may want to ponder your driving habits. I autocrossed on stock pads all last year.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:07 PM

I recommend the Raybestos Brute Stop series of brake pad. They work significantly better than the OEM units. They don't destroy your rotors, don't create a ton of dust or make noise. You will notice that they grab much better. I've had mine on my car for about 3 years. They are not a typical service replacement pad, so you'll have to find a stocking dealer that handles Raybestos, and special order them. They are a severe duty use part for use on emergency vehicles and extreme applications. The part number is: BD749M .
Make sure that whoever orders them pays real close to the part number. They do cost more than your typical burn & pray pads.

Here's the Raybestos link for more info on them.
http://www.raybestos.com/usa/brakepads.htm
Old 05-20-2004, 08:45 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

I find that the Hawk pads dust a bit when they are new. After a few hundered miles, they dust less than the stock pads.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:30 AM
Launching!

The stock pads dust like crazy, and like the stock rotors, they can't handle the heat.

I run EBC greenstuff on my car, along with EBC slotted and dimpled rotors. I did the install myself, and have no problems at all. They do make a little more noise due to being slotted/dimpled, but they do not squeak. If you want to improve braking, you might as well get some decent rotors, as the stock ones are garbage.

I think the keyword here is that you need to make sure your brakes are installed PROPERLY. You need to lubricate the pads to prevent squeaks. A lot more people run EBC and love it. They bite equally as well when hot as they do when cool, and they will last a long time. Dust is not an issue...choose what you want, but don't pass up EBC. They're great products.

-= SsZERO =-
Old 06-08-2004, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SsZERO
The stock pads dust like crazy, and like the stock rotors, they can't handle the heat.

I run EBC greenstuff on my car, along with EBC slotted and dimpled rotors. I did the install myself, and have no problems at all. They do make a little more noise due to being slotted/dimpled, but they do not squeak. If you want to improve braking, you might as well get some decent rotors, as the stock ones are garbage.

I think the keyword here is that you need to make sure your brakes are installed PROPERLY. You need to lubricate the pads to prevent squeaks. A lot more people run EBC and love it. They bite equally as well when hot as they do when cool, and they will last a long time. Dust is not an issue...choose what you want, but don't pass up EBC. They're great products.

-= SsZERO =-

Said everthing I would've... EBC Slotted/Dimpled rotors here, EBC greenstuff pads, a little more noise, but definitely a serious improvement over stock. You can heat em up over and over again and get fairly continuous brake performance. As for dusting, I have very little if even that (basically I don't notice) and I got chrome rims (makes it easy to tell when dirty)
Attached Thumbnails EBC Greenstuff pads?-img_0126.jpg  

Quick Reply: EBC Greenstuff pads?