Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Alignment parts

Old 03-18-2014, 10:53 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alignment parts

Just got an alignmenet done the other day and the tech told me that my car a,94 camaro z28 ,was harder to align than some of the newer cars, so he charged me 60 instead of the advertised 40. I was just wondering what parts affect the alignment on our cars. My car has bilstein shocks with bmr springs and an adjustable panhard bar as far as aftermarket parts go. He also told me that the tie rod angles were messed up and thats why it took longer than normal to do my alignment. Im thinking that the lowering springs had something to do with the messed up angles, but im limited in my knowledge of suspension. So if anyone could explain to me how our suspension gets aligned that would be great, oh and i took the car in because I changed the outer tie rod ends.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a load of bull to me, but at the same time $60 doesn't sound bad for a proper alignment. $40 sounds really cheap.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could see him charging you extra (for a full 4-wheel alignment instead of just a front-end alignment) since you have the adjustable panhard bar, that allows adjustment of the rear that normally has ZERO adjustment that can be done. But, that line about the angle of the tie-rods makes no sense at all, the angle doesn't effect anything adjustment wise and really has no method of adjustment since it's whatever the rack and pinion to spindle angle is, tie rods are for adjusting toe and are ball joints at each end so there really isn't anyway to alter there angle.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:20 AM
Launching!

Im not sure if he specifically said tie rod ends angles were messed up but he did say some angles were way off.Either way I hear that 60 isnt a bad price for an alignment.I just wanted to gain a bit of knowledge by posting this.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:20 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

My first suggestion is to get it checked somewhere else. Usually when we hear that, it means the shop/tech does not know how to properly align one of these cars. They are not harder to align than any other car, but they do use a little different process in the adjustments. It is unfortunate, but I hear this nearly every day. Check the link in my signature and see if you can find a good reputable shop in your area to recheck that alignment. I can almost guarantee it is not set properly.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 03-19-2014, 03:54 PM
Launching!

I dont see any shops near me on the list. I live in Houston Tx. Im going to try to ask around and see if I can find one near me. Some of my friends have lowered trucks. Ill see if I can ask them where they got theres done at.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:23 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

That is the best option. If you find a shop that will work on lowered/aftermarket suspensions without hesitation, that is a good sign. Most shops are afraid to touch them because they don't actually understand the mechanics behind alignment, they simply know the "shop manual" way. You can usually tell within the first few minutes whether they know what they are doing or not. If you do find a shop in your area that is good, please post their info in that thread and I will add it to our list.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alignment parts