Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front spring perches and lowering issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 06:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front spring perches and lowering issues

So after lowering my 2000 3.8 camaro with bilsteins and strano springs. I lowered the rear and had a shop do the front as i could not get the sway bar endlink removed or the shock mount bolts removed. Upon receiving the car it was lowered about 2.5in which at least 1in more than it should be. All i was told when taking the car was both shock mounts needed to be replaced. 48 hours later(today) i was able to jack up the car and take the drivers front wheel off to get a closer look.

I looks to me as the spring perch is upside down and the spring isolator is not seated properly. And i am assuming this is the same story on the passenger side. I called the shop who did the work and they told me that they had to mount the perches upside down in order to give the car back to me. The spring perches were apparently welded on to the old shocks(monroe sensetrac). Which sounds like the rushed the job and never did they stop to call me and say something was wrong and you could use spring perches.

Basically i am asking does anyone know of where to get some spring perches that will fit slp bilsteins? I have only found monroe #904962 and RAYBESTOS Part # 5251269 and i am unaware as to if these will fit bilsteins.

Before

after

Old 03-22-2014, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What the hell. That's looks like garbage, find another shop imo

Sent from my HTC One VX using IB AutoGroup
Old 03-22-2014, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

DON'T drive on that, you will likely damage things further. If the spring seat was welded on to the monroes (which it should not have been), they should have told you they couldn't do the work without getting replacement spring seats, flipping it upside down IS NOT SAFE, nothing is holding the bottom of the spring laterally and considering the tension on those springs this is just plain STUPID.

to fix this remove everything from the car and take it to a reputable shop and stop by a parts store and pick up new spring seats and have them installed.

Also the "shop" and I use that word loosely considering the shady **** they pulled, jacked up the car from the fender mounts (clearly seen in your pics), you can bend them back to fix that gap and hope the fender tabs don't break off.

Also, it looks like they failed to get either the dust boot and possibly the bump stops off the old shocks.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:49 PM
Teching In

I cant believe they would let anyone drive away with that. How ridiculous!!!
Old 03-22-2014, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Holy......
Old 03-22-2014, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

post the name of the shop.... that could have got you seriously hurt if those broke..
Old 03-22-2014, 11:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Majestic9C1
post the name of the shop.... that could have got you seriously hurt if those broke..
Underground Autosports in Hoffman Estates, IL

Its kind of sad to see this work at a shop that has done work on some very nice cars. I have know someone who has gone there for a few dyno runs with a focus st. And apparently they have the fan blowing air away from the car. Essential sucking hot air away which does not simulate real world and is not helping FI cars.

So in addition to the spring perches and isolators. i should be looking at getting dust boots as well?

Im kind of upset i have to go back to school tomorrow and cant get this fixed sooner. The car will be sitting in the garage till mid may once semester is over.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yup, those are upside down for sure. You need to turn those around asap, and the shop just made some **** up because they didn't want to admit fault. You are near speed inc, you should take your car there.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
DON'T drive on that, you will likely damage things further. If the spring seat was welded on to the monroes (which it should not have been), they should have told you they couldn't do the work without getting replacement spring seats, flipping it upside down IS NOT SAFE, nothing is holding the bottom of the spring laterally and considering the tension on those springs this is just plain STUPID.

to fix this remove everything from the car and take it to a reputable shop and stop by a parts store and pick up new spring seats and have them installed.

Also the "shop" and I use that word loosely considering the shady **** they pulled, jacked up the car from the fender mounts (clearly seen in your pics), you can bend them back to fix that gap and hope the fender tabs don't break off.

Also, it looks like they failed to get either the dust boot and possibly the bump stops off the old shocks.

^^^

What he said!!

Quick Reply: Front spring perches and lowering issues