Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shocks/struts recommendation for Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 08:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shocks/struts recommendation for Z

I have aftermarket C6 wheels, 18 x 275 up front, 18 x 295 in back, and need a recommendation on new struts and shocks since the added weight of the larger wheels and tires has made the stock shocks and struts inadequate. Car is used as a weekend cruiser, no road racing, no drag racing, I'd just like to get the suspension back to as stock feeling as I can. I'm not interested in lowering springs or anything like that. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-27-2014, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

May wanna research first as you'll get a lot of personal opinions here. I would go with konis over any of the other type personally. Fully adjustable front and rear.

Sent from my HTC One VX using IB AutoGroup
Old 03-27-2014, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been doing some research, yes, but that's why I came here, I'd like to get some other people's opinion. I don't think I need adjustables for what I'm looking for but I will keep it in consideration. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:45 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue's_Z28
I have aftermarket C6 wheels, 18 x 275 up front, 18 x 295 in back, and need a recommendation on new struts and shocks since the added weight of the larger wheels and tires has made the stock shocks and struts inadequate. Car is used as a weekend cruiser, no road racing, no drag racing, I'd just like to get the suspension back to as stock feeling as I can. I'm not interested in lowering springs or anything like that. Thanks in advance!
For what you are wanting to do I would really recommend going with either Bilstein shocks or the Koni STR.T shocks. Both of these shocks will work very well for what you want to do with the car and won't break the bank. I know most places including us are out of stock on the Koni STR.T shocks but We have the Bilstein shocks in stock and ready to ship so if it is something we can help you out with just let us know.

I personally think the Koni yellow shocks would be overkill for you but they are another option if you are looking for something that will improve the handling and perform better. The Koni yellow shocks are going to be a bit more expensive than the other two options but they are a better shock.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 03-27-2014, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
For what you are wanting to do I would really recommend going with either Bilstein shocks or the Koni STR.T shocks. Both of these shocks will work very well for what you want to do with the car and won't break the bank. I know most places including us are out of stock on the Koni STR.T shocks but We have the Bilstein shocks in stock and ready to ship so if it is something we can help you out with just let us know.

I personally think the Koni yellow shocks would be overkill for you but they are another option if you are looking for something that will improve the handling and perform better. The Koni yellow shocks are going to be a bit more expensive than the other two options but they are a better shock.
Thanks for that opinion. I was sort of leaning towards Bilsteins but now I've pretty much made up my mind. I've tried to reach Strano for advice but since he either didn't answer the phone when I called or failed to return my call when I left a message, BMR will get my business. I'll be calling you tomorrow, Kyle.

-Kyle
Old 03-28-2014, 10:55 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue's_Z28
Thanks for that opinion. I was sort of leaning towards Bilsteins but now I've pretty much made up my mind. I've tried to reach Strano for advice but since he either didn't answer the phone when I called or failed to return my call when I left a message, BMR will get my business. I'll be calling you tomorrow, Kyle.

-Kyle
It was good talking to you this morning Kyle. If there is ever anything else that we can help you out with just let us know.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 03-28-2014, 11:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed BMR srpings and Bilstein Shocks. LOVE the new ride. (Now only if i can get this stinkin clutch slave issue out the way so i can enjoy it more)

I know shes dirty but here is a quick picture the night I installed the parts. I plan on doing the heater hose mod now that it is on.
Before while she was a 4x4

After what it supposed to look like.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

What does unsprung weight have to do with shocks/struts?
Old 04-17-2014, 04:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Shock compression damping controls unsprung weight. Rarely do most people need to play with the compression settings because their unsprung weight doesn't change to an extreme amount. That would be caused by going with heavier wheels/tires or going with a heavier rear end.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:49 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
How much for a pair of Koni yellow shocks?
Old 04-18-2014, 10:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't wanna lower it just get a set of SLP Bilsteins and be done with it
Old 06-10-2014, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just wanted to add a follow up. Went with the Bilstein shocks/struts and it was exactly what I was looking for. LOVE the way the car rides now. Thanks for the support!
Old 06-10-2014, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's good. I should be installing the ones I bought this weekend. Should be a much better ride than the stock worn fronts, shot rears.

BTW our cars only have shocks.

Quick Reply: Shocks/struts recommendation for Z