Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

wht type of grease?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 02:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wht type of grease?

Im looking to do my brakes(rotors and pads) that I bought from brakemotive this weekend, and was looking into what type or brand of high temp. grease I can use to lube the slider pins. Im wary of going to the auto parts store and asking them for fear of just getting something they throw at me saying "oh hey this stuff works great." Thanks
Old 04-03-2014, 02:22 PM
Teching In

I've used the Permatex ceramic extreme brake lube and it works pretty well, you can usually get it at the parts store too.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:23 PM
Teching In

If you're running stock brake system in the car and not doing any road racing silicone grease works fine too.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there's 2 types, PAO oil based such as CRC and permatex:

and silicone based which generally come in those little packets.
either will work. the reason you don't use regular wheel bearing type grease is because they have petroluem based oil in it and can't take the heat and will also degrade the rubber seals around the slide pins.
I believe the silicone grease and the PAO based grease are incompatible so you don't want to mix them. I think the oem lube was silicone, so if you go with the permatex or crc stuff you want to clean off whatever's on there before using the new stuff. the small jar or permatex or crc is great all around lube for everything else also.

and only use these lubes on the slide pins.
consider using the orange crc disc brake quiet on the back of the pads to keep them from squealing.
I generally coat the entire metal backing of the pad but i think you only need to coat where the caliper piston touches the pad.
and you don't put anything at all on the face of the brake pad that goes against the rotor.
if you get new rotors and they are coated in oil as a preservative make sure you wash them real good.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Feltenberger
If you're running stock brake system in the car and not doing any road racing silicone grease works fine too.
I agree...I've used a product called "Super Lube" with success.

Quick Reply: wht type of grease?