Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Oil Pan and UMI K Member

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Pan and UMI K Member

I have a leak from my oil pan gasket and am about to replace it in the next few days. I know the pan wont clear the stock k member without raising the motor, but can you get it out with the tubular UMI piece without moving the motor? Thanks for any help.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:50 AM
TECH Resident

Tried snaking it out tonight and its a no go. The regular tubular k member might have a chance, but with the second beam on the road race one there is not enough space fore the pan to clear the bellhousing.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:04 AM
TECH Addict

You shouldn't have to drop the K-member completely, especially with the UMI unit. I've dropped the pan in my car with the stock K-member just by dropping it a couple of inches. Should be easier with the UMI K-member. Try loosening the bolts (19mm if memory serves me right) and that should give you enough clearance to drop it.

Forgot to mention, you can also jack up the engine/transmission a little bit to give you a little more room to work with. Then again, I have a T-56 and you have a 4L60E...

Last edited by Krab; 04-15-2014 at 05:11 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:15 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Like Krab is saying you should be able to lift the motor the motor a little bit and drop the k-member down and snake the oil pan out. The last couple oil pan gaskets I have done this way and it really wasn't too bad and didn't take too long. It is a pretty straight forward deal. Are you working on a lift or on the ground?

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!

Quick Reply: Oil Pan and UMI K Member