Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Chassis Improvement on Stock F-body

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chassis Improvement on Stock F-body

I have a '98 Z28 M6 with t-tops 60k miles on it. I'd like to do some stuff to stiffen it up and improve handling. In the summer it is a daily driver. And I only drag race it a couple times a year. So it is really just for my own enjoyment on the street that I want better handling and a stiffer chassis. I am thinking of getting 3 point bolt in sub frame connectors (I want the bolt ins for now so that I could take them off if I wanted to do exhaust later) and after doing the exhaust would probably have them welded in. I don't want to go to extreme. I just want to have an all round more solid feeling car and other than sub frame connectors I don't really know what else to do.

I considered a strut tower brace, but I hear that they are more for looks.

Currently it is bone stock with an MGW short throw shifter on the way (just ordered today )
Old 04-11-2014, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Personally I like my strut tower bar, yes it's not as noticeable a difference as say one on a mid 90's honda civic, but it does have a small effect, of everything i've done so far it was the smallest change but it helps when you need to reach in the bay to have something solid to support you instead of putting your hand on the cowl.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shocks (Bilsteins/Koni seem to be the favorites), Sway bars (35/22 is probably the most used setup for improved handling. I run the Strano bars). Probably $600 in parts, and those two would make worlds of difference.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

You should do stiffer springs, shocks, and sway bars first. Then if you still need it stiffer you can do SFCs. Most people feel that the reason SFCs improve a stock car is just because they are masking the poor shock performance of the stockers.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by infinitebird
You should do stiffer springs, shocks, and sway bars first. Then if you still need it stiffer you can do SFCs. Most people feel that the reason SFCs improve a stock car is just because they are masking the poor shock performance of the stockers.
In doing something that truly wasn't great thinking, last summer I had all the shocks and struts replaced, but I didn't even think about uprgrading them. So it has basically brand new shocks and struts (less than 5k miles on them), but they are only slightly better than OEM quality. The mechanic I took it to got a mildly upgraded set. It definitely feels better than it did with the original ones, but I'd still like it to feel much better, but I'm not really ready to replace all the shocks and struts again.

I've heard SFC's can reduce squeaks and rattles by stiffening it up. So even if the handling wasn't hugely improved. I like that it wouldn't squeak and rattle as much.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Cody Miller
I've heard SFC's can reduce squeaks and rattles by stiffening it up. So even if the handling wasn't hugely improved.
That is exactly what SFCs will do. It will stiffen it up without improving the handling all that much. So if that's what you want, by all means do SFCs. Just be aware that stiffer shocks/springs/swaybars will also stiffen it up as well as improve handling a lot. Up to you to decide which you want.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:56 PM

That is exactly what SFCs will do. It will stiffen it up without improving the handling all that much. So if that's what you want, by all means do SFCs. Just be aware that stiffer shocks/springs/swaybars will also stiffen it up as well as improve handling a lot. Up to you to decide which you want.
Okay, well I guess I will do SFC's and swaybars, and maybe a strut tower brace . I'm not sure if this is actually true or not, but I read that SFC's will help you launch harder and straighter because the frame isn't twisting. Does that mean the SFC's would improve quarter mile times at all? I don't really care if they do or not as I'd just be happy to not have it rattle and squeak and then do the swaybars for a bit better handling.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:33 PM
TECH Veteran

SFCs will not improve your quarter mile time.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:35 PM

SFCs will not improve your quarter mile time.
I figured as much, but thought I'd ask the question. Guess I'll have to run synthetic headlight fluid to improve that quarter mile time lololol.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

In doing something that truly wasn't great thinking, last summer I had all the shocks and struts replaced, but I didn't even think about uprgrading them. So it has basically brand new shocks and struts (less than 5k miles on them), but they are only slightly better than OEM quality. The mechanic I took it to got a mildly upgraded set. It definitely feels better than it did with the original ones, but I'd still like it to feel much better, but I'm not really ready to replace all the shocks and struts again.

I've heard SFC's can reduce squeaks and rattles by stiffening it up. So even if the handling wasn't hugely improved. I like that it wouldn't squeak and rattle as much.
SFC's have said to reduce squeaks and rattles, but its definitely not a sure fix, as the true issue is still at hand: poor shock dampening letting the harshness transmit to the chassis in the first place.
I know you'll hate reading this but good shocks will reduce/eliminate rattles while providing a vastly improved ride and drastically improved handling and feel. Easily the single best mod for these cars, nothing else compares.
You can add swaybars but the car still won't feel great or handle all that well because of the poor shocks (mileage being irrelevant if the dampening isn't up to par in the first place when they are brand new).
Old 04-11-2014, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
SFC's have said to reduce squeaks and rattles, but its definitely not a sure fix, as the true issue is still at hand: poor shock dampening letting the harshness transmit to the chassis in the first place.
I know you'll hate reading this but good shocks will reduce/eliminate rattles while providing a vastly improved ride and drastically improved handling and feel. Easily the single best mod for these cars, nothing else compares.
You can add swaybars but the car still won't feel great or handle all that well because of the poor shocks (mileage being irrelevant if the dampening isn't up to par in the first place when they are brand new).
Hmm.....well, I guess I will just be satisfied with SFC's and swaybars because I'm not paying for new shocks and springs....again....ugh I wish I had thought this through better a year ago.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hmm.....well, I guess I will just be satisfied with SFC's and swaybars because I'm not paying for new shocks and springs....again....ugh I wish I had thought this through better a year ago.
Hey, you're only hurting yourself man. Id take those off and try and sell then and buy yourself some good shocks.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, you're only hurting yourself man. Id take those off and try and sell then and buy yourself some good shocks.
Yep. Either spend the money now or spend it later.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:34 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

There's just no getting around this. You can't improve the way your car handles and feels on the road without good shocks - Bilstein if a comfy ride is top priority, Koni's if ultimate handling comes first. What brand did your mechanic put on the car?

Quick Reply: Chassis Improvement on Stock F-body