Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

INfo on front sway bar f-body

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Default INfo on front sway bar f-body

I have a 98 t/a and just swapped out to a aftermarket front sway bar... the aftermarket one feels about good 20lbs... BUT the stock one feels like 5lbs and possibly hollow. I wasn't aware of stockers being hollow and that light!!! I know its factory bc it has the flat spots in the bends on the sway bar... it feels like i'm holding a steel drive shaft vs an aluminum drive shaft.

SO... what's up with this 'stock' front sway bar i removed?
Thanks in advance!
Old 04-24-2014, 08:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to Strano's website the factory bars are hollow, and the weight difference you see is typical of hollow vs solid.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:43 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Correct, factory bars are very thin wall tubing. This is why they allow so much flex and body roll. The aftermarket bars are either a heavy wall hollow tubing, or solid (depending on brand) which creates the stiffness of the bar which reduces body roll.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 04-24-2014, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alright thank you guys thats what I wanted to know.

BMR... btw, do you guys still have yellow parts? I didn't see the colorful choice listed on your site.
-Thx
Old 04-24-2014, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, hollow swaybars can provide a better stiffness vs weight ratio. That's why hollow is usually preferred.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:40 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

z28bryan is correct, all of our bars are hollow to offer a light weight, but still offer excellent handling improvement.

As for our colors, we only offer Red or Black Hammertone now. We ran into too many issues with color matching, color transfer when switching from one color to another and inventory issues and such when we offered multiple colors. It is still bad enough with 2, it is was an absolute circus with 8
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-04-2014, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
z28bryan is correct, all of our bars are hollow to offer a light weight, but still offer excellent handling improvement.

As for our colors, we only offer Red or Black Hammertone now. We ran into too many issues with color matching, color transfer when switching from one color to another and inventory issues and such when we offered multiple colors. It is still bad enough with 2, it is was an absolute circus with 8
I can imagine then... never thought about that. I have to keep yellow theme on one of my cars and gloss black on my other. Thanks for the info BMR Staff!

Quick Reply: INfo on front sway bar f-body