Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

AFCO coilovers vs. AFCO/Wolfe perch kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AFCO coilovers vs. AFCO/Wolfe perch kit

I'm just about ready to finish up the new fab9 and stuck on a decision on AFCO 3870R as a coilover, or the 3870R with the Wolfe kit. Im coming out on a X275 tire with a decent hit on the fogger and decent weight reduction. AFCO D/A coilovers are up front already. I figured a few ideas could sway me before I start getting on the phone with all the shops and tie up their time. I am looking for consistency on the short end. Any info coming in is welcomed. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

I see a lot of coil over hype lately, but they would be in front of the housing (stock location). Is that an ideal setup or is that a half a$$ed way of going about things?
Old 04-24-2014, 07:25 AM
TECH Regular

I just would call afco, tell them you have that shock and want to concert it... I just currently swapped mine to a coil over as well.. was pretty cheap.. Just need the threaded part of body, top hat that clips into the nut and the spring...

As far as being a waste no not really. I know some low 7 sec rides like that..

They sure do look pretty with the chrome springs
Attached Thumbnails AFCO coilovers vs. AFCO/Wolfe perch kit-attachment-2.jpeg  
Old 04-24-2014, 09:35 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We do a ton of coil-over conversion like this ^^^ guy has(thanks Kyle). There is a whole lot of racers using this stem and some crazy fast numbers. The only difference is the spring seats on the shock, and needing transverse shock mounts on the housing.

MWC has all the best components and the guaranteed lowest prices. Give us a call and we can get you setup!
Old 04-24-2014, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks big Smokey. You got enough anti seize on there lol. Hows the upper floor holding up out back? Ssvert how are you guys selling these kits, 3870R stud through floor or are you guys selling a clevis through the rod end into the body? What kind of short times do the coil overs see before I have to drop the tank and tie them up top and onto the backside of the housing?
One last thing, what kind of spring rate would I be using on a coil over? As I am sure the traditional data sheet goes out the window when mounting them up.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:00 PM
TECH Regular

Mine just use conventional way of coming threw the top, no clevis. I honestly can't remember the rate, I just threw the box away but I think they were 150s..I honesty don't think you would have in issue getting mid to low 1.2s... depends on other things as well...

Never enough anti seize
Attached Thumbnails AFCO coilovers vs. AFCO/Wolfe perch kit-1398383510787.jpg   AFCO coilovers vs. AFCO/Wolfe perch kit-1398383578650.jpg  
Old 04-28-2014, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

Low 1.2's BigSmokey you are too kind. Im pulling the trigger on the coil overs. Maybe I just needed a kick in the pants. If I cant get on top of my setup I will just blame you haha.
Now I just gotta find an AFCO dealer.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:56 PM
TECH Regular

I got my threaded spring perch, top hat and springs from Midwest. . It's pretty cheap to do, can't remember the $... your gonna need some transverse mounts as well...

1.2s if that ls3 is making some really really good steam
Old 04-29-2014, 08:25 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HerbCunliffe
Low 1.2's BigSmokey you are too kind. Im pulling the trigger on the coil overs. Maybe I just needed a kick in the pants. If I cant get on top of my setup I will just blame you haha.
Now I just gotta find an AFCO dealer.
We can help you with anything from Afco, or if you want to step up to the Menscer shocks we can do that as well. We have setup the shocks for the fastest stock suspension f-body cars and have the best prices on all of it! Give us a call!

Quick Reply: AFCO coilovers vs. AFCO/Wolfe perch kit