Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Difference in LCA's

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 03:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference in LCA's

Couple quick questions, what's the difference between poly/poly/ rod/rod and poly/rod endings?
Secondly are there any cons with adjustables? Do they ever need re-adjusted?
I understand they help center your rear axle and reduce wheel hop but after that I'm pretty clueless haha.. Plus my car is lowered so I know they are needed quite badly
Old 04-24-2014, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Poly/Poly is poly on both ends. Poly reduces bushing deflection by a fair amount (something rubber tends to do), but this setup doesn't allow for very much articulation aside from up/down at all. Fine for drag, not so great for street.

Rod/rod use rod ends on both ends. This setup allows for unrestricted articulation, but they tend to be quite harsh and noisy since there is no damping in them at all.

Poly/rod tries to bridge the gap somewhat, by having poly on the chassis side (doesn't need much articulation on that end) and rod on the axle side (where it needs to be able to twist). Gets you halfway between.

There are other options other companies have, such as UMI with their roto joint, Founders with their 3 piece poly joint, etc, each with varying degrees of articulation, noise, deflection, and harshness/comfort.

I'm running Founders 3 piece poly joint on my car as mine is street driven but I didn't want the noise from a rod end, but wanted less deflection than rubber would give me.

As far as adjustable, adjustable LCAs are only really needed when stuffing a really tall tire in the wheel well and you have to get it perfectly centered, or if you want to adjust your thrust angle. Once they're set they don't need readjusted usually. I'm running non-adjustable as they were cheaper and I didn't see a need for adjustable on my car.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:07 PM
Launching!

Awesome info appreciate it
Old 04-24-2014, 04:07 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The post above pretty well covered it. What do you primarily do with the car? Are you having any specific issues you are trying to address? Since you are lowered I would recommend looking into LCA relocation brackets as well to correct your anti-squat and instant center angles. If it is primarily a street driven car, I would keep with a poly/poly combination, and unless you are running a crazy tire/wheel combination or have rear alignment issues, you should be good with a non-adjustable arm.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 04-24-2014, 04:16 PM
Launching!

Street car during nice weather only wouldn't mind taking it to a strip a time or two but it's no race car by any means, by the end of the summer the car should be putting down mid 400 whp so I want to make sure it is getting there efficiently. I guess the main issue would be the wheel hop is horrible, idk how the car was lowered as I'm not the original owner. However I do know it wasn't done to the best it could be
Old 04-24-2014, 04:28 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I have the Founders 3-piece poly joint. I'd either do that or the UMI Roto for anything that's driven on the street but that wants articulation close to a rod end without all of the harshness.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:47 PM
Launching!

I'm for sure going with founders (sorry BMR guy lol), have heard nothing but good comments about them and the price is unbeatable. But from what I have just learned an adj pan hard is more important with a lowered suspension than the adj LCAs are correct? However you still need LCAs and the relocation brackets for them since lowering the suspension flattens out the angle they are at?
Old 04-24-2014, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i went from poly/poly BMR to stock 1le boxed in... and i am loving the stockers. my poly ends made for such a harsh ride. i had them lubed up good too lol
Old 04-24-2014, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BAN_ONE
I'm for sure going with founders (sorry BMR guy lol), have heard nothing but good comments about them and the price is unbeatable. But from what I have just learned an adj pan hard is more important with a lowered suspension than the adj LCAs are correct? However you still need LCAs and the relocation brackets for them since lowering the suspension flattens out the angle they are at?
Basically yeah. Adjustable LCAs not a big deal, adjustable panhard, more important.

LCA relocation brackets are a maybe. I've heard if you're doing all street they really aren't that important and can hurt handling somewhat. I can't say for sure if mine do or not since I improved so many things at the same time any detriment from them is greatly overshadowed by all the other improvements lol.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:35 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I went with the Founders 3-piece poly join LCAs (non-adjustable), Founders Adjustable Panhard Bar with poly ends, and Founders LCA Relo bracket. Pretty easy install and good prices.

The PH Bar can be poly ends, that doesn't add to harshness. And I'd stay away from adjustable LCAs unless you plan to run a 28" tire.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^ Exact same setup I have.

Quick Reply: Difference in LCA's