Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

A way to create a "lower perch" on other shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default A way to create a "lower perch" on other shocks

I was looking at a spare lower spring perch for the front shocks and got to thinking. A shortened perch that gives an extra 1/2" drop in the front without requiring a lower ring on the shock body itself doesn't look like it would be too hard or expensive to make. Effectively allows for a "lower perch" on more shocks.

Am I crazy?

Heck, it could be taken another step and a "coilover" style adjustable sleeve that would still use regular springs like oem, strano, etc

This is when I wish I could fab stuff.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:19 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I've thought about this myself. The design would be simple - just adjust the height of the column of the perch. I'm surprised nobody has done it. It wouldn't be complex to manufacture, either.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:42 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Koni Sport shocks offer this option similar to what you are talking about. A lot of people like to call them "adjustable" but I don't think that is a fair term for how they are configured. They have an upper and lower perch position, which are basically snap-ring grooves about 1/4" apart on the shock body. The spring pad seats on the snap ring in the groove to locate it.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-09-2014, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
Koni Sport shocks offer this option similar to what you are talking about. A lot of people like to call them "adjustable" but I don't think that is a fair term for how they are configured. They have an upper and lower perch position, which are basically snap-ring grooves about 1/4" apart on the shock body. The spring pad seats on the snap ring in the groove to locate it.
Right but that just moves the mount up and down the shock body, and only Konis have that. I'm referring to changing the actual black metal seat to sit lower on that perch.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:57 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I see what you are saying, however the issue becomes the replacement of the entire perch. The factory DeCarbon shocks have a retainer on the top of the shock body that will not allow the perch to slide off. Removing this retainer means actually opening the shock up. I don't think that would be something that most people are equipped or prepared to do.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-09-2014, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just buy a new perch... I never have reused the old perch on the old shocks. I just got new shocks and got a new perch. What I'm talking about having done would require a new perch anyway to make it sit lower on the snap ring.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Just buy a new perch... I never have reused the old perch on the old shocks. I just got new shocks and got a new perch. What I'm talking about having done would require a new perch anyway to make it sit lower on the snap ring.
did this quick sketch to show people what you mean. Shortening the center height in the lower perch would allow for a more agressive drop option while still using the BMR or Strano or Even stock springs, this would allow the front to drop on any shock with a replaceable lower perch as an alternative way to the way Koni does there's, IE shocks without multiple snap ring locations could use the shortened version to create the same effect as the lower snap ring position on the koni's
Attached Thumbnails A way to create a "lower perch" on other shocks-drawing2-work.jpg  
Old 05-09-2014, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You could also cut out the center section up at the top of the straight section, then have the center of the spring seat opened up just enough to slide the cut off center section up into the spring seat and then weld them together. I would have a shop with all the proper machine tooling do the work.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:29 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

That is what I am saying is the issue. Replacing a spring perch on a factory shock is not as simple a task as most weekend garage guys are willing to tackle. Taking that retainer off is one part of it. Getting the factory perch off the shock and an new one to fit down over it is a chore in itself. Your idea will work in theory, but what I am saying is for the cost of the part plus the time and effort involved in installing it, you would not be ahead anything over a regular set of drop springs.

(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-09-2014, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

even then it would still give those guys that are looking to swap out the factory shocks to like Bilsteins or something an option to lower the front just a little, like what you get with the heater hose mod in the rear, so you get some minor drop but still retain the factory springs for those that live where even the 1.25" drop of the BMR's is more then they can do without scrapping on there driveway. There is a crowd out there that wants to be a little lower but still keep the stock springs for ride comfort. I did it for a while on my last honda used the lower snap ring position with the stock springs.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

That is what I am saying is the issue. Replacing a spring perch on a factory shock is not as simple a task as most weekend garage guys are willing to tackle. Taking that retainer off is one part of it. Getting the factory perch off the shock and an new one to fit down over it is a chore in itself. Your idea will work in theory, but what I am saying is for the cost of the part plus the time and effort involved in installing it, you would not be ahead anything over a regular set of drop springs.
First thing I always suggest is to ditch those deCrapon shocks, so moot point there

Some people may just want to drop only 1/2" or so.
Or maybe they want to go a little lower than 1.2" drop springs will take them, but without resorting to crappy pro kit springs.
Or maybe they have done weight reduction and the 1.2" drop spring doesn't get them that drop anymore. Or in my case, my V6 isn't heavy enough to drop that last 1/2" lol. I don't want to shell out for Koni Yellows just for a 1/2" additional drop.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:23 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Replacing a spring perch on a factory shock is not as simple a task as most weekend garage guys are willing to tackle. Taking that retainer off is one part of it. Getting the factory perch off the shock and an new one to fit down over it is a chore in itself.
Every time I've replaced stock fronts with Bilsteins, I've had to do what you show and it's not a big deal - just have to whack on that perch a lot.

Sparky's idea would mean manufacturing shorter perches, which should be able to be done for far less than lowering springs. You install them on your new pair of Bilsteins and you get a .75" drop just like with Konis, but for much cheaper than they are or new springs.

Think of a price point around $25-35 a pair ... realistic?
Old 05-11-2014, 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Heck I'd do $50 for a pair.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Heck I'd do $50 for a pair.
yeah up to 50 would be about the peak price point, after that people would just start looking at investing in better shocks, but being the Moog replacements at rockauto are like 10-15 each I think 50 would be a fair price for something like this, the question is are any of the sponsors setup to manufacture spring perches like this? if they had to bring in special equipment I'm not certain they would turn a profit on these, while i'm sure there is a market I don't think it would be large enough to cover costs unless they could do them already.

Quick Reply: A way to create a "lower perch" on other shocks