Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

question about coil springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default question about coil springs

how would you know you need new springs (not shocks) on a vehicle?

how would you know or figure what spring rate to choose? I assume it's based on vehicle body weight that's sitting on top of the springs?

forgot to mention: 2002 camaro ss with SLP bilstein suspension package.

can someone tell me the spring rates and shock rates/values if there is such a thing of what the base model camaro/ss would have had vs what I have with the slp bilsteins?
thanks.

Last edited by 1 FMF; 05-15-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:13 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 FMF

how would you know or figure what spring rate to choose? I assume it's based on vehicle body weight that's sitting on top of the springs?

can someone tell me the spring rates and shock rates/values if there is such a thing of what the base model camaro/ss would have had vs what I have with the slp bilsteins?
thanks.
Generally people realize they need to change their springs when the springs start sagging and the ride height of the vehicle is thrown off. The lowering springs provided with the SLP package were manufactured by Eibach and they are known to sag over time.

If you think your springs are sagging I would recommend checking the ride height on all four corners to see what they are at.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 05-15-2014, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Attached are 2 pictures, the one at the gas station is before I did any suspension work on the car, the one in the gravel driveway is after I installed BMR springs and Bilstein shocks ONLY on the rear of the car. Notice how the front end now sits level where it used to sit noticeably lower, this is a sign of sagging springs (in my case the fronts having sagged more then an inch from where they should be), So once I can get the down time on the car I will be tearing the front apart to replace shocks, springs and while I'm there ball joints and control arm bushings.
Attached Thumbnails question about coil springs-2012-04-08_19-13-24_382.jpg   question about coil springs-img_20140320_160655_093.jpg  
Old 05-15-2014, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 FMF

thanks.
Usually springs last for quite a while, without putting them on some kind of machine to test them the only other way to tell if they are "bad" is if they are sagging.
As for shocks you will notice the car is getting more and more loose, floaty, disconnected and bouncy if they are going bad.

For choosing spring rate that depends on what you want to do with the car (Drag vs handling), and what height you want the car at.

Here is a list of some spring rates for fbodies:
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fastcar/suspension.html

Quick Reply: question about coil springs