Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shackles/spring clamps OK for small drop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shackles/spring clamps OK for small drop?

Are they okay to use for a small drop like 1/2 - 3/4 inch? I dont want to get into springs and shocks and all that. If I can get 3/4 inch with no ill effects cheaply than ill do it.

Has anyone here used clamps/shackles?
Old 05-17-2004, 06:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd stay away from those. But you can remove the rear spring isolator and lower the rear 3/4 inch. But, the front will need Koni SA's which have a 1" lower mounting point for the springs that you can use to lower the front. The good news is, you can get great shocks (for the front) lower the car and improve handling all at once. If you upgrade the rear shocks, the change will amaze you. I'd not cut or clamp them though.

My thoughts.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by trackbird
I'd stay away from those. But you can remove the rear spring isolator and lower the rear 3/4 inch. But, the front will need Koni SA's which have a 1" lower mounting point for the springs that you can use to lower the front. The good news is, you can get great shocks (for the front) lower the car and improve handling all at once. If you upgrade the rear shocks, the change will amaze you. I'd not cut or clamp them though.

My thoughts.
I don't want to spend a fortune. So how much are these konis? And I can use the stock spring in the front?
Old 05-17-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2K2LS1
I don't want to spend a fortune. So how much are these konis? And I can use the stock spring in the front?

I suspect that we'd be over budget. I was thinking and typing at once and since I had it typed out, I posted it. I can tell you where to get rear Koni SA's for about $80 each. Fronts are about $439 a pair. It will let you use stock springs and you'll be amazed at what good shocks will do.

I was thinking that lowering the rear is cheap. I forgot about needing shocks in the front (until I was done typing it).

Either way, I'd avoid the shackles and such. I'd cut the springs first. And I absolutely hate/don't believe in cutting springs. If that tells you something.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, you really want to avoid them if you can. Some people have had luck with MINIMAL cutting of springs. You need to be carefull, though, as this can lead to a poor ride if cut too much.

Jeff