Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help! Sway bar pic/measure request LS1 'Vert

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 07:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Help! Sway bar pic/measure request LS1 'Vert

Cross posted between here and the convertible forum as it's a convertible-specific issue, but it's related to suspension...

Any fellow 'vert owners... Can someone (preferably someone with an LS1 SS Vert) take a pic and/or measurement (measurement would be better!) of the clearance between the sway bar and the extra convertible bracing that's on the K frame?

Reason I ask is I lowered my car, and I am getting contact between the sway bar and the frame - you can see in the second picture below. I'd like to know how much distance was between those, stock, and I'll try to mimic that with my end link spacing.

It'd be very much appreciated! Been chasing this suspension "clunk" for quite a while!

The clearance I am talking about is here in the red circle:

And, here's the contact I am getting. Apparently, this extra little bracket welded to the bottom is a convertible-only brace.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can try and take a measurement for you tonight. I have a BMR swaybar up front tho. It has some rub marks from that bracing but that is about it.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd appreciate it - not seeing anything like what I am posting?

I have this nasty metallic clunk when I go over bumps, and I think this is it. When I get home from work tonight, I am going to completely yank the sway bar and take it over a couple of spots in my sub that I know cause the noise. I want to ensure that this contact is what I am hearing.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Which sway are you using? I am using Strano sways and don't believe I am rubbing at all, but will check...
Old 06-06-2014, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Which sway are you using? I am using Strano sways and don't believe I am rubbing at all, but will check...
Stock SS bar as far as I can tell. I had no issue until I lowered the car fairly significantly and replaced the end links at the same time (OE's snapped while doing the spring/shock upgrade).
Old 06-06-2014, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ Time to get some Strano sways then! Which lowering springs are you on and shocks?

I am not lowered -- still on stock SS springs, and also don't seem to be touching from the quick look I did tonight.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cut stockers, about a 1.5" drop. I had no interference before I dropped it either, so I expect you wouldn't if you were stock - although, I replaced the end links at the same time, so maybe these were slightly longer too.

No need for the strano bar, just need to get the sleeve cut down to center the bar better between the frame and the tie rod. Looks like I need to cut it about 1.125-1.25" to get the bar centered.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All fixed...FWIW, I had to trim the sleeve down about 1.25". Rides awesome now!

Quick Reply: Help! Sway bar pic/measure request LS1 'Vert