Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Squeaking coming from rear?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 02:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking coming from rear?

Iv noticed lately on my 98 camaro when driving over speed bumps or just pulling into my driveway my car seems to make a squeaking sort of noise like jumping up and down on an old bed. I can even make it do it when I push up and down on the back end iv tried lubing the bushings and no difference so my question is would that be the springs or the shocks maybe? Monroe shocks 7yrs old.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:31 AM
Staging Lane

Anyone out there have any info for me before I end up just giving the shop 80$ for diagnoses?
Old 06-12-2014, 02:22 AM
TECH Addict

first off, I wouldn't go to a shop thats gonna charge me 80 bucks just to tell me what they think the problem is.
if you can get it to do it by pushing down on the corner (I have the same sound myself and just haven't bothered with solving it) then drive the back wheels up on ramps and have a friend push on the car while you stick your head under there and try to hear where it comes from.

things to check (aside from lubing panhard bar, lower control arms and sway bar bushings)
make sure the sway bar end links are properly tightened and the upper shock mount is properly tightened.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:51 AM
Staging Lane

I posted something just like this not to long ago. What I did was replaced my LCA and my Panhard and the squeaking went away. Couldn't tell you which was causing it (LCA or Panhard) but all the bushings looked rather shot just in my opinion. I like the idea of you putting the back of the car on ramps and having a friend rock the car for you so you can duck your head under to find the source of the noise. Another thing you can do is lube the bushings really well (If they are not in need of replacing) of your LCA's and then go for a drive. If the noise is gone, then great. If not, then do the same with the panhard. If the noise is still there, end-links would be my next guess.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is the bushings, generally the LCA's because they move the most when rear body goes up and down. you need to undo each control arm, you can do one end at a time but you need to do both ends for the LCA and PHB, wipe clean the mount point on the body, then lube the bushing and the metal mount point before reinstalling.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:01 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the responses I really didn't wanna throw $ away at a shop I will start from the easiest to the hardest I guess so putting it on some ramps and lubing it up will be my first test.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

How many miles are on your car?
Old 06-13-2014, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

Old 06-14-2014, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

With those miles I agree with bushings.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info. Now any ideas on whos gonna carry the bushings from just looking at it its gonna be a pain in the *** to just get to them without a lift.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Goodkat
Thanks for the info. Now any ideas on whos gonna carry the bushings from just looking at it its gonna be a pain in the *** to just get to them without a lift.
actually quite easy to get to them with just a floor jack to lift one side at a time, I swapped my panhard bar out with the driver wheel on the ground and the passenger wheel off the car.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

That's good to hear thought they were going to be a pain to get to
Old 06-14-2014, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

That's good to hear thought they were going to be a pain to get to
once the wheel was off swapping out the panhard bar (to an adjustable aftermarket) only took like 10 minutes, getting the control arms back in place is a bit of pain, just make sure you have something to pry with to line up the bolt hole.

you'll have more time in it if pressing out and pressing in new bushings, I went aftermarket with all my bars.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:25 AM
Staging Lane

If you don't mind me asking how much did that whole swap out run you in price?
Old 06-15-2014, 01:45 AM
TECH Addict

about 184 with shipping (27 worth of shipping to go from cali to georgia), but shipping would be cheaper for you since your in the same state they are.
these are the parts I did:
http://www.foundersperformance.com/p...-Bushings.html
http://www.foundersperformance.com/1...ce-poly-joint/

panhard is so easy to install you'll spend more time re-centering the rear then actually installing the bar, the control arms are a pain because of the tight tolerances on the bushings, if I did it again I would add the relocation brackets, I think it would make it easier to install.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks much appreciated not a bad deal at all to get rid of that embarrassing squeaking every time I get in and out of my car or go over a speed bump
Old 06-16-2014, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Iv noticed lately on my 98 camaro when driving over speed bumps or just pulling into my driveway my car seems to make a squeaking...
Before you do anything tighten your spare wheel nut in the trunk. I had a very sensitive squeek for like a year until I figured out it was the spare wheel causing it.

Quick Reply: Squeaking coming from rear?