Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

front end alignment

Old 06-11-2014, 01:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default front end alignment

Car is an 02 Trans Am convertible. Suspension is Bilstein BTS-7501 kit ( approx 1.25" lower), Spohn strut tower brace and poly end links front and rear, Spohn subframe connectors. Rest of suspension is stock, 83,500 miles. Car drives and handles fine. We just replaced the engine ( LS1 to LQ4 swap). A little extra weight on the front. Since we had the K member out, I decided to have the front end aligned ( had it done last year when I installed a new set of Nitto's and dealer said front end came in to alignmet with no issues)). Today he called me and told me he couldnt get the front end in to spec. Here are the final numbers:

left camber -0.4 right camber -0.6
left caster 5.4 right caster 5.6
left toe 0.00 right toe 0.01

As I understand the design, caster isnt adjustable and the camber numbers are within the range, just not at the optimum. Any parts I should be looking to replace? Is it possible that the strut tower brace is affecting the camber? OK as is?

Last edited by george88gta; 06-11-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, those numbers aren't all that bad. Too bad the left side toe doesn't match the right side, but that's the only thing I'd really be picky about. If you're looking to get the camber closer to zero, you could break out the Dremel tool, and CAREFULLY elongate the slots that the lower control arm slides in. Make it about 1/8-3/16" longer toward the center of the car.

Caster IS adjustable, by moving the REAR pivot bolt of the lower a-arm, but I really think you're good where you currently are.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reply. The numbers arent that bad and certainly in the published range. I was just looking for some advice. The dealer wants to get things to the optimum and sometimes that just doesnt happen. Dont want to cut holes, etc. until it becomes a necessity. I think I will leave things as they are and see how it runs long term. Bottom line, car is a weekend/fair weather only car and it will take a long time to wear out tires, etc.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Caster is adjustable, but seeing where yours is I would let it be. Your camber is actually better than what the technician was probably trying to make it. You are a bit on the negative side for camber. That's better for tire wear than being straight at 0 deg on these cars. As was mentioned above, not exactly the same left to right, but nothing I'd make a fuss over.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: front end alignment