Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Turn One pump- best bang-for-the-buck suspension mod you can make?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lightbulb Turn One pump- best bang-for-the-buck suspension mod you can make?

An interesting premise and article, anyone here have a Strano-style setup F-Body with a Turn One pump? I would love to hear some reviews of how it changed the feel of your car.

"Based on Glenn's and my own driving experience with Turn One products, the full benefit of suspension mods and alignment changes will never be fully realized on most stock power-steering systems."

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/060...l/viewall.html

Old 06-19-2014, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Its on my list of upgrades in the near future
Old 06-20-2014, 02:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is the pump hooked up to the engine? If it weren't, you could easily just make it always one pressure to not have to compromise. Is it just not reliable enough off of the electrical system?

I'm not so sure it's a better deal than something like Bilstein shocks since the shocks make for an overall better ride too...
Old 06-20-2014, 07:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a lot of Auto-X experience, but I have some. I get the fluid boil over, and I get the parasitic losses...but in this particular environment there is a whole lot more involved than just horsepower. I doubt anyone would notice either the lack of, or the existence of 3 or 4. I could see this, maybe, on a dedicated track car. On a DD, not so much. With the increased effort needed, a tight parking lot would be a real bitch.

Also, after going through several paragraphs comparing flow v. rpm, we come to this...
Based on Glenn's and my own driving experience with Turn One products, the full benefit of suspension mods and alignment changes will never be fully realized on most stock power-steering systems. A Turn One pump might be the best bang-for-the-buck suspension mod you can make.
Based on the article, I fail to see how this statement is justified. He presents no evidence for it at all. This article reads like a magazine plugging a paid advertisers product, and nothing more.

Am I missing something?

Last edited by fleetmgr; 06-20-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I have one. It improved steering feel slightly, gave it more weight. My main reason for buying it is the less aggressive valving keeps the p/s fluid cooler hopefully preventing any boil over. The pulley also makes working on the p/s pump a breeze. It works well, but I think whomever wrote that article is a bit over zealous.

Edit: This pump doesn't make tight turns any more difficult. It's only a slight increase in steering weight, at least in my opinion.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:45 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got one as well...for the same reason as 79...reduce ps boil over and it certainly has reduced it but has not eliminated it. the turn 1 pump is quiet even when there is air in the system.

Echo'ing 79, there is a slight improvement in steering feel...slight. good for autox...necessity for lapping.

Quick Reply: Turn One pump- best bang-for-the-buck suspension mod you can make?